Author Topic: Catholic orphanages in Edinburgh/ Leith in 1920s  (Read 17336 times)

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Catholic orphanages in Edinburgh/ Leith in 1920s
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know of any ?Catholic orphanages around in Leith/Edinburgh in the 1920s?

My Great granddad had several younger siblings who allegedly were sent to one after their parents died (in 1920 and 1922).  They would have been there between 1922-1924 before my gt granddad brought them down to London (and then to the Calledonian Sch in Bushey, Herts).  My great aunt recalls being told of her father going to collect them but isn't sure of the name.
Cooke, Hewes, Proops, Jefferies

Offline JimOX48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic orphanages in Edinburgh/ Leith in 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 November 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm also looking for Catholic orphanages in the Edinburgh area in the 1910s to 1920s my mother and at least two sisters were sent there. Sadly she wouldn't talk about it and so I am ignorant of an important part of her life. If I do come up with anything I'll post it here

Jim

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 November 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

I do know of the Dean orphanage in Edinburgh. I tried writing to the people who hold the records a while back but got no response and keep meaning to try again. http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/privatePapers.asp might help you - I think I located the address of the holders of the records via the NAS. I hope you have more luck with accessing records as you are a direct relative of the person in the orphanage - I'm not.

Offline JimOX48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 November 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Helen,

Thank you so much for replying to my pleas, I'll certainly see if I can follow up on you lead and obviously if I have any luck I'll let you know. Recalling my mother's impressions of the place where she was lodged it may well be that those authorities who could provide information are not keen so to do.

I'm intrigued by your mentioning the NAS. As a retired schoolmaster the initials imply the National Association of Schoolmasters (& Union of Women Teachers), but perhaps I'm reading too much into them.

Thanks again for replying, any news and I'dd be in tough again via this site

Reagards

Jim Pearson

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 November 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim,

NAS is the national archives of Scotland.

I know that most records of orphanages and the like are kept closed for 100 years to protect any potential living people who are named, but I gather you can contact the record holders and request to view certain records under the freedom of info act.  Having spoken to someone who has done this (I think at the Dean orphanage I mention) you normally need to be the person in the record or a proven close relative.

Offline JimOX48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 November 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Further Greetings Helen

Thanks for all the information and forgive my ignorance of the National Archives of Scotland.

You really have gone the extra mile for me. I'll kee[ you poted
Jim

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 November 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
There are so many fantastic people out there that have helped me with snippets of info that it wouldn't be fair not to pass them on or correct errors for people - I know I wouldn't be where I am now with my research if other's hadn't helped me.  I think Karma is a good thing to believe in with geneology.  Good luck.

Helen

Offline lydd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

Thought i'd share some info on this as Im currently looking into the Dean Orphanage in Edinburgh to obtain personal records for my mother who was there with her two sisters in 1950/60.

I phoned The national Archives of Scotland who gave me an address for Scot Moncrieff Thompson & Sheils chartered Accountants, 17  Melville Street, Edinburgh.They are the secretaries & tresurers of the Dean & Cauvin Trust.  My mother wrote to them lokking to find where she can get her records, the director wrote back to her to say she would look in the records office to see if her records are there and will get back to her. I have emailed the director to ask where the records office is & if my mother can view them herself as she is travelling to Edinburgh next month.

I'll let you know what we hear back. Hopefully this might help some of you.

Regards,

Lydia
Scotland: Wynne/Wynn, McCormack, Mudie, Drummond, Carroll, Grimley

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 August 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Lynda,

I've had a similar message and will hopefully hear back next month when they've viewed the records to see if my relatives ever stayed there.
I'm not sure if they'll release the info to me as there are closer living relatives they may prefer to deal with or gain consent from.

Helen