Author Topic: Anyone come across Revill please?  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Chrissie4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anyone come across Revill please?
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandfather William Heaps married a lady on 19th January 1829 in Snelston Derbyshire. Her name was mistranscribed on IGI as Liquonite Reuel. On her death cert in 1860 she is, I believe, again wrongly transcribed as Lignavitre Heaps.  I believe that she was actually Lignum Vita or Ligna Vita as my grandmother later named one of her children Lignum Vita, I presume after her mother. I have now obtained a birth cert for one of their children and it gives the mother as Ligna Vita Heaps formerly REVILL. They were gypsies/travellers and I wondered if anyone had come across the surname Revill in the gypsy fraternity before please as I can't find any baptism for her and they are missing in 1851, so I can't find out where she says she was born?

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone come across Revill please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 09 02:19 GMT (UK) »
`Jane maybe one of your family also- The entry for William may explain their dissapearence in 1851 - Roser

REVELL Jane FC 3 Oct 1861/2? charged with vagrancy with Emma SHELLEY (Scource-Gypsy, Traveller And Itinerant References From Local (Folkestone Kent Area) Newspapers)( Jan JAMES Collection)

REVELL William (No378) born Abt 1831 an unmarried Carter. Protestent. Convicted at Newington in 1849 of felony lrceny from the person. Sentenced to 7 years. Arrived Swan River Clony Western Australia per the vessel “Mermaid” 7.5.1851 . Ticket of Leave 22.10.1851, Conditional Pardon 25.8.1855.  (Description   5' 6"  ,Hair light, Eyes  grey, Visage  long, Complexion fresh Distinguishing Marks None ( No further information on him in Western Australia possibly left the Colony when his sentence expired) (Dictionary of Western Australians Vol '(Convict) (Erickson & OMara)  & Jan James Collection) 

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 09 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Some more for you Chrissie- plus two more convicts to Western Australia. I haven't checked the other States for either name.

HEAPS 1861Census)
HEAP(S) 1775-1850 (Derbyshire) (See Robert Dawson ARITF)

HEAPES Ellinn  buried 3rd June 1582 Burial: traveller (Heckington Linc,
HEAPS Frederick 1850 24 Feb Frederick and Priscilla Chair Bottomer New Brampton DUR
HEAPS Isiah 39 Besom maker Snelson Dby, Hannah Heaps 37 Snelson Dby, Cornelius Heaps 15 Adie Yorks, Unellie Heaps 18 Swinton Yorks, George H Heaps 6 Crick Dby, Mary Heaps 10months Attercliffe Yks Not in house - Whitebrick Wison Road, Barlborough Notts 1861Census)
HEAPS Maria 1850 10 Mar James and Susanna (Chair Maker) New Brampton DUR
------
HEAP John (No9191) born 1834 died 8.1.1883 hanged himself in Perth Western Australian Prison- Married in England, occupation Tailor, semi litterate, Pritestant, Convicted in Dorchester 22.7.1865, shoot with intent, sentenced 15 years. Arrived Western Australia per the vessell "Corona"22.12.1866. Tickett of Leave 7.6.1873, Certified Free 30.6.1881 Perth. Worked in Swan,  Fremantle, Williams, York, Toodyay & Victoria Plains Districts as a general servant, labourer, tailor, cook, shepherd, orderly. Married 1st Rebecca, 2nd Mary DUTTON nee Sullivan (widow of Joseph DUTTON) ( ??? Gypsy) (See Convicts in .Western Australia. & Bicentennial Dictionary of .Western Australia.n.- Erickson & O’Mara) ( & Jan James Collection)

Offline RomanyRoser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 09 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Some more Chrissie- Disregard John HEAP he is not Romany.

HEAPS George (No 1435) born 1820. Died 14.12.1865 in Western Australia. Occupation unmarried Loom Fitter, convicted for life. Arrived in Western Australia per the vessel “William Jardine”1.8.1852. Ticket of Leave 7.12.1854, Conditional Pardon 27.2.1863 (See Convicts in .Western Australia. & Bicentennial Dictionary of .Western Australia.n.- Erickson & O’Mara) ( & Jan James Collection)

Offline Chrissie4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 09 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Roser  :). I have printed all that information off and will see what I come up with. This is my family in 1861 by the way - my grandmother Millicent, her father William and three of his children. They are staying with a family of Quintons.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=8767&iid=NTTRG9_2435_2438-0388&fn=Millicent&ln=Heafes&st=r&ssrc=&pid=22116203

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
  I believe that she was actually Lignum Vita or Ligna Vita as my grandmother later named one of her children Lignum Vita, I presume after her mother.

??? No one else appears to have spotted it, so I'll jump in here. It struck me straight away. Check out Lignum Vitae on Google .....  ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Chrissie4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Steve but I don't need to  ;D The hard wood connection has been pointed out to me several times  ;D

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 09 20:50 GMT (UK) »
 I suppose ye would have, come to think of it  ;)

'Mind you, it got me thinking. We've all heard of Holly, Hazel, Rose and Bryony ~ probably more. But, that's off the top of my head. Just that, for some reason, LV seems to be missing the point, doesn't it?  ;D

Classic name, anyway.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Chrissie4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 09 21:41 GMT (UK) »
You would think with a name like that she would be easy to find wouldn't you  ;D Not a bit of it.
Even the grandchild named after her in 1866 - Lignum Vita Bonsall - goes missing after 1881  :'(