Author Topic: Heaney's & Alford's of Clones  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Heaney's & Alford's of Clones
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I have found records for some of my ancestors on the IGI under the Clones Church of Ireland. These are:-

John Heany married Anne Farrell 1811 (my 5*great grandparents)

Children's baptism records:-

Jane Heney b1812 (mis-transcribed as Henry)
James Heney b1814
Mary Heney b1816
Robert Heney b1818 (my 4*great grandfather)
Elizabeth Heany b1821

I have been unable to find records of the marriage of Robert Heaney to Ann Alford and James Heaney to Mary Jane Alford (both early 1840's). I have also been unable to find baptism records for Mary Heaney born c1843 (Robert & Ann's daughter) and John Heaney born c1842 (James & Mary's son). Also there are no baptism records for Mary Jane Alford c1824 and Ann Alford c1825. I am not sure if these would be under a neighbouring parish. I note that on the 1911 census there are still Alford's living in Killeevan, Currin and Aghabog which all fall under the Union of Clones. Can anyone help?

Also the Clones COI records on the IGI are very basic. Can anyone advise whether the microfilm held at PRONI or LDS will show townlands, marriage witness names and parents names or god parents on the baptisms?

Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Heaney's & Alford's of Clones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 09 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I would say that the best place to try for Church or Ireland records is the Representative Church Body Library in Dublin, as they hold the surviving Church or Ireland details. the website is : http://ireland.anglican.org/

Like all parish registers the details included in these depends on the parish and priest in place at the time - but would usually (but not always) include witnesses for marriages and sponsors for baptisms. Parents details on marriages can include just father names.

I imagine that if there are LDS films available for this parish they would be copies of these registers.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

The family search site says that the microfilm they have are 'printed transcripts' of the registers. I'm not sure whether the transcripts have the full details or not. PRONI in Belfast also have the registers on microfilm. Whether these are the same printed transcripts or copies of the original registers I don't know. I would really like to see these but nearest family history centre is two hours travel away in Sunderland and they say I have to visit in person just to order the microfilm. Maybe I will have a trip to Belfast some day.

I have noticed that on the IGI there is a Mary Heney baptised April 1802, parents Robert & Ann. I am wandering if this is a typing error and should read 1842 as it seems a funny coincidence. Again I will have to see the microfilm to check this out.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about records for this particular church but the Church of Ireland baptisms I've seen for this period only list date, name of child and sometimes father/townland- if mother listed it's only by Christian name.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Some churches kept mother and father's names, townland etc...

E.G. Baptism 13th Nov 1815  Margaret dau, Ken Heany +   Mary Murphy of  Annaghduff    which is Ematris Church near Clones.

some only give father      29th Aug 1812   Mary dau, Henry Heany of  Annaghyduff  which is also Ematris Church, so it's a matter of luck as to what was written down at the time!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.