Author Topic: George Marston Gledhall aka George Marston  (Read 807 times)

Offline MikeWoolridge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
George Marston Gledhall aka George Marston
« on: Sunday 08 November 09 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm looking for a needle in a haystack!! George Marston was born in 1888 in Derby but was actually registered as George Marston Gledhall. His father was Joseph Marston , born in 1840 in Welshpool and mother Ellen Gledhall born in Birmingham. As far as I can ascertain the parents were never married. I have found George on 1891 and 1901 census with both parents in 1891 and with Father Joseph in 1901. I have found Joseph age 70 in 1911 all in Nottinham.
I have lost George after 1901.

Any help would be really appreciated, I dont know where to turn. George is the brother, never known of my wife's grandfather, Joseph Martson Gledhall, same parents who was adopted after birth.

thanks for reading this and for your help if possible
Mike W
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Woolridge, Wooldridge, Reece, Rees, Rushton, Frost, Gledhall, Turner, Meacham, Machin, Heath

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Marston Gledhall aka George Marston
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike,

I suspect the reason you can't find George after 1901 is because his name has been mis-transcribed somewhere.  Have you tried looking on the 1911 census for such names as 'Manston' or even doing a wild search for a George born in Derby in 1888?  He could be married by 1911 and whilst I realise that the list of Nottinghamshire marriages below won't help you to initially identify him, maybe, if you can find a George born 1888 Derby on the census and tie any wife to one of these names, it could help:

George Marston       Dec. Q 1907     Doncaster 9c 1497
George S. Marston   Dec. Q 1914   Doncaster 9c 1652   Spouse: Pryor
George H. Marston   Sep. Q 1915   Nottingham 7b 674   Spouse: Hillyard
George E. Marston   Dec. Q 1915   Nottingham 7b 716   Spouse: Richards
George Marston      Sep. Q 1918   Nottingham 7b 772     Spouse: Clark
George B. Marston   Jun. Q 1921   Mansfield 7b 1[56[9   Spouse: Earp

There is no marriage listed on FreeBMD for George Marston Gledhall in this period.

Failing any luck there the next thing that occurs to me is that he was of the right age to have served in WW1 and whilst it isn't a happy thought you could check the Commonwealth War Graves.

Good luck.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MikeWoolridge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Marston Gledhall aka George Marston
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 December 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
George's marriage is on your list. He married Elizabeth Clark, a widow, in 1918. Her maiden name was Harrison. He served in the war in the Nott and Derby Reg and survived, found his medal roll on ancestry. The couple had one child Edna M Marston.
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Woolridge, Wooldridge, Reece, Rees, Rushton, Frost, Gledhall, Turner, Meacham, Machin, Heath