Author Topic: Amos of Whitford  (Read 11675 times)

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amos of Whitford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Remembered how to do it! As we say in Wales - "Henaint ni ddaw ei hun".

If you have any queries, and don't have access to the censuses, let me know.

Tecwyn  :)
Savage, Hoskins, Wigley, Edwards, German, Jacks

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, no attachment. I got a message stating that I couldn't attach a Word document, and while I fiddled around trying to work out what to do I sent the post. Will try to work something out.

??? ???

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taidgazacaz,

You think you got  problems ::)just had newwindows set up installed! and cannot remember my password to connect to internet-wellI thought I did :P,keeps telling me incorrect :(blah-blah.
Problem is,it's not the same setup-much newer,so the little boxes are different and not as simples! as previous :-[

So using my laptop to reply.(wont use my Cymraeg,is only dipin bach anyway)
Hopefully get it sorted manana.

Sorry about  not mentioning that Margaret Eleanor Lunt nee Roberts was my grandmother,all  I knew about her was her surname was Roberts,was told she was Welsh-but hadn't a clue where in Wales and with a name like Roberts+Margaret Eleanor  tried many times and had so many Margaret Eleanor'sfrom Angelsey to Swansea gave up!!
Bought some credits for 1911 census and luckily got  birth area,-then bmd till blue in face and used most my credits,then got lucky with maiden name,the rest is history!!
I surely wouldn't have moved so fast without the help I have had from you all.
I know the feeling, I think yea I can do that after I've been shown-do it once,go back 6mths later and blow me I seem to have senior moment and it's chinese!!!
Won't you need my email address? when you get sorted,do you just pm me and I reply with it or What!

Nos Da or it now should be Bora Da
Elsa-Mary
Lunt, Greenwood, Lancashire/Cheshire/N Ireland.
Taggart,Robinson,Bates. N Ireland
Roberts, Liverpool.
Amos, Mostyn, Flintshire.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
Attached the spreadsheet at last. You appear to have most of the information already.

In 1901, Thomas has a new wife. NorthWalesBMD shows 3 Thomas Amos marriages between 1891 and 1901, the most likely being with Elizabeth Roberts in 1898, Holywell Civil, HOL/31/E165
There's also one with an Elizabeth Edwards, in 1892, at Llangwyfan.

Tecwyn :)

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 12:17 GMT (UK) »
NorthWalesBMD shows the death of Margaret Amos in 1897, Whitford, WHIT/20/29

This site also shows the births of most of the children, though I couldn't find Louisa or Mercy.
Also, interestingly, there are four other Amos children registered Whitford within the same timeframe, so either there was another family there, or the died before appearing in a any census. I'll have a look at Parish Registers when I next visit Hawarden. I might come up with something.

Tecwyn :)

Offline Elsa-Mary

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 November 09 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Taidgazacaz,

Sorry havn't replied sooner :-[ blessed printer wouldn't work after new Windows  ::),had to uninstall and disconnect and reload to sort it eventually,tried what I thought were a few short cuts agh!!!

Still,diolch yn  fawr, wonder if you would send that spreadsheet to me direct,for some reason can't get it all in on one page!!! duh-something else to sort, and I would like to study it.

Well in between  MESSING WITH PRINTER I MANAGED, to do bit of scouting so I could check if printer worked-it didn't-- ::) BUT guess what !! went looking for
Edward Humphry Roberts  on 1881  census ,and found that his father EDward Roberts born Llainenwen ???? that's what it looked like to me,but fairly sure there is not village with exactly that name in Denbighshire, Debigh, c1817,
AND mother Ellen c1826--- Angelsey!!!!!!,pity no village name,as I was brought up in LLANBERIS, I know Angelsey  Mon Mam Cymru  very well..

Be interesting to find out her maiden name! haven't  got the 1871, 1861 census to follow  them.

Dreadful weather you are having,hope it picks up soon for you.
My son-in law is around Denbigh tomorrow, as there is Band competion- he is in Deiniolen Brass Band.

Adios Tecwyn
Elsa-Mary

Lunt, Greenwood, Lancashire/Cheshire/N Ireland.
Taggart,Robinson,Bates. N Ireland
Roberts, Liverpool.
Amos, Mostyn, Flintshire.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 November 09 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a PM with my e-mail address. If you reply with yours, ill send the spreadsheet direct.

Tecwyn.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 November 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Genuki Gazetter doesn't show anywhere beginning with "Llain" in Denbighshire, there's only one anywhere - "Llaingoch" in Anglesey.

I think it's more likely to be "Llangeinwen", also in Anglesey, not Denbighshire.

Will send Amos spreadsheet (actually pasted into Word) by e-mail.

Offline taidgazacaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 November 09 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Checked the censuses again to see if the Amos family moved. Can't be sure about the actual property, but the did not move from the Mertyn area. As the marriage of Thomas and Margaret, and the baptism of their first child took place in Whitford Parish Church, but then no further baptisms, it suggests that they may have switched religious alliegences.

The 1881 census introduced a new question about language spoken. In 1881 the said Welsh (not both) so maybe the joined a Welsh Non-Conformist chapel. Genuki shows a number of them, Salem, Llannerchymor being perhaps the closest to Mertyn.

You said in an earlier post that you didn't have Thomas' parents. In 1851 he was with his widowed mother, Jane, his sister Harriot and brother Robert. His marriage record gives his father as John.