Author Topic: Darbys from Deal  (Read 4392 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darbys from Deal
« on: Monday 09 November 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
My grgr garndfather Thomas William Hunter Darby emigrated to Australia in 1840.
His parents were Charles Darby and Hannah Hunter. Charles' father was also Charles as was his father and his father was Mathew, b. Canterbury 1675. That's as far back as we know.
I believe Thomas Wm Hunter Darby had a brother Edward who was a magistrate of the Cinque Ports, whatever that involved.
I would like to hear from anyone related in any way
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline Darb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Darbys from Deal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Roger,

Thomas William Hunter Darby's brother, Edward is my Great, Great Grandfather, his son, Henry Hunter Darby, my Great Grandfather. My grandfather William George Darby, and my Dad John Edward Darby.

By coincidence, I emigrated to South Australia 5 years ago, from England and I have discovered that Thomas was an early settler to Adelaide. I have been looking at his family line and have been intrigued by descendants of Thomas that moved to Broomehill WA. in particular Rupert Darby who went off to fight in WW1 and died of illness and was buried in an English country churchyard in 1918.

I would love to get in touch with you to research the Australian descendants of Thomas William Hunter Darby, more.

Peter Darby

Online AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Roger

I've just joined Rootschat and found your request. I know it's a long time since you posted it so the information may be out of date, but if you already have it at least it will confirm what you have.
I'm not a Darby but have an interest in the population of Deal and so looked up the Darby family.

Charles & Elizabeth DARBY had the following children baptised at St George's church:

8-9-1786    Charles DARBY    married Hanna (surname unknown)
28-3-1788  Edward DARBY    married Jane    (surname unknown)
31-1-1790  Elizabeth Ann DARBY
11-5-1791  Mary DARBY
4-12-1793  William DARBY     married Mary SPENCER  22-10-1838
21-2-1796  John DARBY

Children of Charles & Hanna:

10-8-1810  Jane Hunter DARBY
19-8-1812  Hannah Hunter DARBY
29-6-1814  Edward DARBY  married Mary Ann JARVIS 14-1-1837  Edward was first a Baker living at Folly Court, later in Lower Street       
7-6-1816    Thomas William Hunter DARBY                                    (now  the High Street), by 1847 he was a Victualler then a Baker 
                                                                                                       again by 1850 living in Water Street.
Children of Edward & Mary:

1-10-1837  Mary Ann Jarvis DARBY
19-5-1840  Elizabeth Jarvis DARBY
3-12-1841  Charles DARBY
6-9-1843    Harriet Jane DARBY
10-9-1845  Maria Hunter DARBY
5-11-1847  Henry Hunter DARBY
25-101850  Hannah Hunter DARBY

These records are taken from St George's Church Parish records and are as accurate as records can be, given the amount of human error that abounded while they were being taken down. I do not yet have the records for the other Church, St Leonards, but if you are interested I will look them up when next in the Library in case there are any further children.

Annoyingly, the Marriage Records for the first half of the 19th century for St George's were lost many years ago. It may well have had the marriages of the other Darbys.

Dates are of Baptism, not Birth.

I hope this is of some help

AJ

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks AJ, that was very useful.
Much appreciated, Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline DavesBoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 23 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger, Hi Peter,
I am related through Charles Darby 1786 to 1823 - my line comes through Edward Danby, William Jarvis and William Eugene. I have some details of Thomas William Hunter's line, Roger, but not which of his sons through which you get the Darby surname!  Peter, I see your line!
 Best wishes, Mark

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 July 23 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, Hi Peter,
I am related through Charles Darby 1786 to 1823 - my line comes through Edward Danby, William Jarvis and William Eugene. I have some details of Thomas William Hunter's line, Roger, but not which of his sons through which you get the Darby surname!  Peter, I see your line!
 Best wishes, Mark
Hi Mark, I only just saw your comments from January!
Thanks for your post. It would be great to learn a little more about your family line. Are you a Darby?
Cheers, Roger