Author Topic: Goff's of Dorset  (Read 4972 times)

Offline BourneGooner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Goff's of Dorset
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 January 10 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply. I have no reason to doubt the marriage certificate, although having said that he was a 48 year old bachelor and others have said that was quite old to be a bachelor. But as I say I have no reason or other evidence to doubt the certificate. Also another point that makes me think it is correct is that Charles had a son he named John, my grandfather, which would make me think he named him after his father.
I do take your point though that certificates are not always as "trustworthy" as they should be, but as I say at the minute I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy partly due to the fact that before the marriage certificate I have no information on Charles Goff at all, he just seems to appear from nowhere!!!
BourneGooner
Lock's of Rutland, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
Goff's of Nottinghamshire, Bedfordshire
Smith's - Gypsy descendants of Barthwell Smith

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Goff's of Dorset
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 January 10 08:29 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,413074.0.html
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,398941.0.html

In the second of the above posts you say that the witnesses at the wedding were W Cox and Amy Cox. If you didn't know, and to eliminate them from tracking Charles down, these are Ada's sister and brother-in-law.

Marriage   Jun 1909     Southwell
William Cox and Amy Talbot

In 1901 both Ada Frances, 10 and Amy, 14 are living with their parents (William and Hannah).

I don't have access to the full 1911 but I notice that Ada Francis Talbot, 20, is not living with her family. It may help to know who she is living with.

In 1901 William and Hannah Talbot were living with Lilly, 15; Amy, 14; Charlotte, 12; Ada Fr, 10; Samuel Talbot, 30; and Nelly Talbot, 3 months. Judging by his birthplace, Samuel is William's brother and the positioning of Nelly suggests she is his daughter.

In 1911 William and Hannah are living with Charlotte T, 22; Nelly T, 10; Emily Talbot, 5; and Amy Wallhead Talbot, 5 months. I don't have access to the relationships, but it would be interesting to know whose children Emily and Amy Wallhead were.

I am clutching at straws here (but I don't think William and Hannah are the parents of Amy Wallhead Talbot): is she the daughter of one of their sons (and just staying for the night); or could she be the illegitimate daughter of one of their daughters? In those circumstances it is not uncommon for the middle name to be the father's surname and there is a family of Wallheads in Southwell at the time. She may even be the daughter of Ada who then married a man who was twenty years older than herself. All this is highly speculative and probably completely wrong!

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk