Author Topic: lovett  (Read 18991 times)

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lovett
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi tancor
 sorry about this i thought the author email address was on book i was wrong..
 best thing you can do is get in touch with croydon public librarie see if they can get in touch for you they know about the book, What it says on book is....croydon public libraries...Lib C...No 010793655 its called A STALL STORY 100 years of market trading wrote by vivien lovett. or try log on Museum of croydon Agnes lovett maybe that might help to leave message.
 Its making me wonder if hes related to me if i find out info i let you know, and if you find out could you let me know please... I do what i can-to help bye for now...
:)

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 06 April 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
I remember going to a talk by Vivien Lovett in Croydon, as I went to school with children of the same name all in the West Croydon area.

I have just Googled Vivien's name and there is an article dated Jan 09 in the Croydon Gardian about  her father Bill who died December 08 and his connections with Surrey Street market.

She is writing a  new book on Wallington and was requesting information here telephone number was quoted as a contact as 0208655 8581 hope this is of some help.

Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent

Offline aug

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thats my side of family bill was my grandads cousin, my grandads mum maiden name is lovett her name is martha shes in the book... and also in the book is the curds my dads side of the family all from kent related to coopers my ggran harriet cooper married my ggrandad george gladwin live in mitcham in a tent, my dads mum and dad both romany gypsys with penfolds stanleys etc, reason why i'm saying this because at bottom of page says your from mitcham gypsy site... i'm on a site called croydon message board about banghole go on there found i'm related to people.
:)

Offline Boblima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 August 10 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Tancor,

Now the Lovett from Croydon that you're having a slight problem with.  I am a Lovett and have come across the same person, same problem, but here's what I know ;

George LOVETT b.1797 Croydon, Surrey, he married
Clothilde TROUVEE b. 22nd Oct 1803 St Malo France
 Children were ;
Thomas LOVETT b.1826 Calais France, d. 1899 Colne, Lancashire.
Francies LOVETT b.1827 St Malo France d.1843 Hemel Hempstead, Hetfordshire.
Clothilde LOVETT b.Oct 1827 Croydon, d. Nov 1827 Croydon

The questions all this information is, how did George marry a French girl in France ?? not as simple a question as you may think, Waterloo was in June 1815 and I wouldn't think an English soldier would be very welcome post Waterloo, but he married her and stayed long enough in France to give her two sons there !!  I think there was a Barracks in the Croydon area, George signed up, went with Wellington to do his duty, met Clothilde, and stayed on, when they moved back to England (Croydon) baby Clothilde died, they then went to Hertfordshire where there were strong Lovett connections in the Redbourn area, and France became a distant memory.

Best regards,

Boblima
I th

Lovett; Hertfordshire. Essex. Lancashire.

Offline Mark1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 August 10 08:25 BST (UK) »
not sure how far morden is from mitcham/croydon though

Pretty much next door neighbours :)
Lavender - Ruislip Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey
Ad(d)away - Burnham Buckinghamshire / Mitcham Surrey
Abrehart/Abrahart - Edmonton Middlesex / Mitcham Surrey / Victoria Australia
Lindsell - Braintree Essex / Morpeth Durham / Islington london
Donohoe/Donohue & Roche - Graiguecullen, Queens/Carlow Ireland

Offline tancor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 August 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for information that you have,cannot seem to get forward with the French connection.
Tancor

Offline dejavue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 October 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Boblima,

Dejavue here, I lost touch with youafter our last exchange. I hope the information on my Grandmother Mary Elizabeth was helpful. How is your research on Lovetts in the Colne area going?

I read with interest your post regarding George Lovett and his wife Clotilde. You gave her maiden name and birthdate, something that has vexed me for some time. Do you have any other information   as I know of several other branches of the Lovett family have also been looking for more information on Clotilde.

Thanks again,
Dejavue

Offline Boblima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 09 October 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Dear De ja vu,

I feel as though I've been here before..................................but no, thats all I have on the lady, which is why I went on to Rootschat, in the hope that someone, somewhere would add another bit to this jigsaw we call 'Family Tree'

Ah well, c'est la vie, any other bits you think I can add for you, do not hesitate

Regards,

Boblima
Lovett; Hertfordshire. Essex. Lancashire.

Offline Prufrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 24 December 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 i'm related to lovetts of croydon on my mums side...My grandad name is christopher george foster hes mum my ggran is martha foster nee'lovett.
 There's a book wrote by vivien lovett about her grandad walter lovett, hes my ggran marthas brother about surrey street market along with my dads side the curds.... Book called A STALL STORY. I have to find out about this george lovett wonder if its same line of family to me. One of the lovetts still work down market selling flowers which they always had done. if you want more info or if you have some please get in touch.

Hi,

I am a Foster and Albert George Foster and Martha Susan Foster (nee Lovett) were my Great Grandparents, the parents of my Grandad Alfred Foster, and the Grandparents of my Dad John Alfred Foster. Christopher George Foster was my Grandad's youngest brother, my Dad's Uncle and therefore my Great Uncle. I have photographs of"Chrissy"(as my Grandad always referred to him) going back to before WW2, I am not that old(!) but remember him myself - when did he pass away?

Chrissy had three brothers and a sister, I am in touch with most of the children (of course most of them are mature adults).

If Chrissy was your Grandad who is/was your Dad - Georgie, Colin or one of the"girls"?

Vivien Lovett is a cousin.

Drop me a line if you want to know more...we are related!

Regards, Prufrock.