Author Topic: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin  (Read 25621 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin
« Reply #36 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:11 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks Tara, will have a go ;-)

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:14 BST (UK) »
Ellen/Eleanor or Nellie Freeman married Abraham Harris (Jewish) who was a Jeweller. .....Abraham Harris was aka Albert Harris & probably had a jeweller's shop in Dublin circa 1900-1911. 

possible link ?

Thom's 1910, trades section 'Jewellers, Silversmiths & Watchmakers'

Morris Harris, 30 Nassau street

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Might this be Abraham Harris in 1901 - the writing on the actual census is tricky to work out !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Royal_Exchange/Grafton_Street/1309121/

Tara

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
I am nearly certain that Morris Harris and his family were part of a libel case that involved Samuel Beckett in the 1930s that was a great stir at the time
I'll see if I can find anything on it but if I am remembering correctly Beckett was related to the family in some way

did quick search of "morris harris" online and got several hits
Rootsweb posting
Biography reference to Gogarty
The Life of Samuel Beckett

if he is related there is probably another book in it!!
Morris Harris daughter married John Sinclair who was CoI
William Abraham Sinclair and Henry Morris Sinclair were his twin grandsons and brought up as Jews

Wiliam Sinclair in 1911 Census
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:46 BST (UK) »
Might this be Abraham Harris in 1901 - the writing on the actual census is tricky to work out !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Royal_Exchange/Grafton_Street/1309121/

Tara

PO, was going to edit my big post above but it exceeds the letter qty...

EDIT:

Tara has suggested that I highlight my remaining brick walls... so here goes...

1). I am looking for the death listing of my great grandmother. I have found her grave at Dolphin's Barn cemetery in Dublin, she was buried on 7th July 1927 under the name FEIGE FREEMAN, nothing more in the cemetery records, but the GRO cannot find her death under any of the variations I've found her named... FAIGA/FEIGE/FEGE  FRIEDMAN/FREEDMAN/FREEMAN.  I have not found her on the 1911 Irish or UK censuses either.  She must have died in Ireland to be buried in Dublin within 1-2 days of death as is Jewish custom & if she remarried, surely she would have been buried under her new married name.  She was 64 year of age on the 1901 census, so she would be about 90 when she died in 1927!

2. I cannot find the death of my grandfather's brother who was known as PHILIP FREEMAN on 1901 & 1911 Dublin census.  Again, his name has also been found as Ralf/Ralph/Raphael  Friedman/Freedman/Freeman.  I have found that Philip never naturalised & he spent two years at Donnybrook Hospital from 1915 until he discharged himself at end of May 1917 as his daughter was very ill.  I have a feeling that Philip Freeman died about the same time as my grandfather Louis Freeman visited Dublin on 28th June 1917. It is highly likely that this was Louis' reason to take his young family to Dublin.  I have never found the death of Philip's wife Sarah Freeman either & have no idea when she died, but I do know it was after 1917 as she wrote a letter to Donnybrook Hospital regarding her husband in May 1917 & the address on the letter was Nș1 Green Street, Green, Orpington Kent. This may have been the address of one of her daughter's, possibly Nellie who I give more details about below.  So the death's of Philip & Sarah Freeman remain brick walls.

3).  Philip & Sarah Freeman had 9 children but only three daughters survived to marry & I need to trace the following three families...

4).  Maria/Marie/Minnie nee Freeman married Harry Russell in Dublin's RO, possibly indicating that Harry Russell was perhaps not Jewish.  On the 1911 Dublin census Maria Russell was listed with her parents & she had a 5 year-old daughter Winnie, who was born in Belfast, indicating that they lived in Belfast for a time.  I need to trace this Russell family forward.

5). Ellen/Eleanor aka Nellie married Abraham Harris a Jewish Jeweller, they were living next door to Nellie's parents on the 1911 Dublin census with 5 year old daughter Simona & 2 year-old Esther. They possibly had a Jeweller's shop in Dublin circa 1900-1911 but might have moved to the Orpington address where Sarah wrote her letter from in 1917. Abraham Harris was aka Albert J Harris.  I need to trace this Harris family forward.

6).  Eva/Evelyn Freeman married Charles Berg a Jewish Cabinet Maker who is also listed as living with Eva & her parents on the Dublin 1911 census. They married in Liverpool in 1914 & had two children before they then moved to Manchester where they had two more children the last one born in 1929, then disappeared. I need to trace this Berg family forward.

EDIT:
7).  My grandfather's sister Esther-Baila nee Freeman married Maurice Abramson in 1887 in Dublin & has not been found since!  There is a possible connection to the Erlish family as I have found a Morris Abrahamson, with Myer Abrahamson & Rebecca & Herman Erlich at 2, Walworth Rd on the 1939/40 ERs  Morris died in Dublin in 1944 & his death was registered by Bertha Erlich. Rebecca/Bertha & Baila Erlich are the same person & Baila, as she was known ran a Kosher Butcher's shop in Dublin for many years.  I need to find what happened to Esther-Baila Abramson/Abrahamson after she married in 1887, I've so far found no children tot his marriage.

I hope this make a little more sense - it is complicated, my brick walls are bigger than China's! But one step as a time gets us there eventually, whether them steps are forward backwards or sideways!

Thanks everyone...

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:54 BST (UK) »

Tara

Ohhh It could well be Tara!  He's listed as Abraham Harry instead of Abraham Harris!  They did not marry until 1903 & married in Belfast.
Abraham Harris was born in South Wales, this guy says he was born in England, so still could be him!  His occupation on the original image is Jewellers Assistant, his father was a watchmaker & Abraham was much older than Nellie!  Well done!

HG2

PS. The 1911 census has his age as 34, so it might still be him, they were then living at house 39.2, South Circular Road.

Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 25 June 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Up to now, I've found there were three different HARRIS families in Dublin at the same time, where they had any link to each other is not yet certain, but I am hoping so.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 25 June 12 17:05 BST (UK) »
I am nearly certain that Morris Harris and his family were part of a libel case that involved Samuel Beckett in the 1930s that was a great stir at the time
I'll see if I can find anything on it but if I am remembering correctly Beckett was related to the family in some way

did quick search of "morris harris" online and got several hits
Rootsweb posting
Biography reference to Gogarty
The Life of Samuel Beckett

if he is related there is probably another book in it!!
Morris Harris daughter married John Sinclair who was CoI
William Abraham Sinclair and Henry Morris Sinclair were his twin grandsons and brought up as Jews

Wiliam Sinclair in 1911 Census

He had a few brothers but none named Morris, altho they could have been cousins & the Jewish community were very close.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 June 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
With Maurice Abrahamson - do you have an occupation for him, sometimes with people who changed the spelling of their names, it is easier to try and find them on census' by occupation.

Tara