Author Topic: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin  (Read 25640 times)

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Ancestors in Dublin
« Reply #45 on: Monday 25 June 12 17:39 BST (UK) »
With Maurice Abrahamson - do you have an occupation for him, sometimes with people who changed the spelling of their names, it is easier to try and find them on census' by occupation.

Tara

I forgot to add the Abramson family to my brick wall summary - will do now.

Maurice was a pedlar when they married in 1887, but on his DC in 1944 he was a Tailor.  He died as Morris Abrahamson. 

HG2
Freeman Freedman Friedman.
Cohen
Rosenburg
From Leeds, Ireland, Liverpool & Lithuania

Welsby
From Lancashire and London.

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 25 June 12 18:10 BST (UK) »
For the Harris family on the 1881 Cardiff census, the names of Abraham's siblings were...

Sara,
Solomon,
Emanuel,
Rebecca,
Harry/Henry?,
Rachel,
Abraham (was then 5 yrs, so born about 1875/6-ish)
David

I know that Abraham's father - Simon Harris - was a pillar of the Jewish community in South Wales & later moved to Newcastle were he died in 1902, hence their daughter was named Simona in memory of Abraham's father. We think Abraham's mother, Maria Harris nee Bloom then went to live in Ireland, probably Dublin, so we feel that Abraham did have some siblings in Dublin.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 25 June 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
I know this is not a match for Maurice Abramson but I was just wondering have you ben looking outside of Dublin.

I was helping someone with Jewish roots before and some of the families seemed to have alternated between Dublin and Cork !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cork_Urban_No__5/Elizabeth_Terrace__part_/1114079/

Tara

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 25 June 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
I know this is not a match for Maurice Abramson but I was just wondering have you ben looking outside of Dublin.

I was helping someone with Jewish roots before and some of the families seemed to have alternated between Dublin and Cork !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cork_Urban_No__5/Elizabeth_Terrace__part_/1114079/

Tara

I'll look at any possibility Tara, I've learnt to think outside the box with my Jewish side & nothing surprises me now!

I can't see any link to Maurice on that family tho.

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 14 July 12 16:44 BST (UK) »
Might this be Abraham Harris in 1901 - the writing on the actual census is tricky to work out !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Royal_Exchange/Grafton_Street/1309121/

Tara

Hi again,

I've been away for a few weeks & don't think I replied to this post. 

YES!!!!  I think you've four him on the 1901 census... brilliant!! 

Thank you.

Now all I need is to find him coming forward.  I've began a new thread hoping to ring some bells for a Family Of Jewellers named HARRIS...
Please ignore that thread, I just thought it might jog somebody's memories, but I have no idea if this family had a jeweller's shop under their family name of HARRIS.

HG2

see : Dublin Family of Jewellers named HARRIS
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 14 July 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Have you gone through all the Harris' on the 1939 Dublin Electoral Roll - some of the names or address' may ring bells with you !

Tara

Offline HarrysGirl2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 14 July 12 17:12 BST (UK) »
To be honest, I'll check the ERs again, because I know I've looked at Freeman/Abrahamson/Russell & all the name variations on the ERs, but I don't think I did the Harris name !  Thanks you, I've been researching for years, but sometimes you forget the obvious!

Thanks ;-)

HG2
Cohen
Rosenburg

Welsby

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:40 BST (UK) »
We feel strongly that all these Freedman's are linked & we are researching all of these Freedman's & would be interested in exchanging info with anyone connected to these families. 

HarrysGirl2
[/quote]

Its some time since your post but you may be interested in some Freedman entiries here on Aliens Register.
http://www.familyhistory.ie/docs/aliens/Page%2023.jpg

annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline DolphinsBarn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 03 September 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
I believe we are related. My great grandfather was Maurice Abramson who married Esther Friedman (Fridman/Freedman) in 1887 in Dublin. The marriage certificate states she signed with an "x" which may explain the variation of the surname spelling. The address on their marriage certificate is 57 Lombard Street West. Tobias was her father. Louis Abramson is shown on the certificate Maurice's father. However, Louis was Maurice's brother. Their father was Julius Abramson from Lithuania. The family moved shortly thereafter to Glasgow where Sam was born June 13, 1889 at 6 Oxford Lane, and then to Leeds where Lillie was born as well as my grandmother Betsy on August 13, 1894 at 96 Byron Street. Maurice is listed on her birth certificate as a tailor presser. The family moved to Boston, MA in 1896. Sometime after the marriage and for reasons I have been unable to determine, Julius, Maurice and Esther changed their surname to Cohen as Sam is listed on his birth certificate as Cohen as well as parents Maurice and Esther. Other Abramsons retained their name and also emigrated to the U.S. Tobias died in Glasgow in 1902. As an interesting literary side note, James Joyce's novel Ulysses mentions 57 Lombard Street West in which a Jewish family resides. In May 2018 I visited 57 Lombard as well as the synagogue where the marriage took place. Both buildings are intact.