Author Topic: Vandepeers from Sheerness  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Vandepeers from Sheerness
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi gvandepeer,

I shall post an enquiry on the South Australian message board, but from the info contained in your post above, thought you may be able to help.

Two of William James Vandepeer & Susan Bryson's children married two siblings; children of Donald McLachlan, an Argyll Scot and Jane Young from Jedburgh, they also became farmers at Ardrossan:

Susan Bryson Vandepeer married John Campbell McLachlan

William James Munns Vandepeer married Grace McLean McLachlan
children:
Dorothy Jean
William Donald
Alice Grace
Jessie McLean

I have found nothing so far about John Campbell & Susan Bryson McLachlan after their marriage, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

brigau

Offline gvandepeer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi brigau
John Campbell MacLachlan and Susan Bryson Vandepeer were married at her father's residence at Petersville on Yorke Peninsula on January 24th 1895.   They moved to Western Australia where they were farmers. Their children were:

Jessie Campbell MacLachlan, born 1897 at Albany

Roy Campbell MacLachlan, born 1898 at Leederville (WA) - he served in the Army between 1917 - 1919.   Died in York (WA) on April 14 1979

Doreen Campbell MacLachlan, born 1903 in York (WA) and died the same year.

Colin Campbell Maclachlan, born 1908 (presumably in York), died 1964 (?)

I have a source that might be able to provide further information.   (Susan's sister, Rosetta Blanche James (Rose) also lived in the general area after about 1900.   

Please contact if you would be interested in the Vandepeer history in Australia until the death Susan (Bryson) in 1919

Kind regards

Offline Lachlan50

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi CrichtonL

I came across your correspondence in relation to William James Vandepeeer and Susan Bryson. My great grandmother was Susan Bryson Vandepeer and she married my great grand father John Campbell MacLachlan (McLachlan) who were the parents of my grandfather Roy Campbell MacLachlan (born 18/8/1898).

We reside in Rockingham, Western Australia.

I maybe able to help you some more.

Regards
Researching Donald  MacLachlan  an Argyll Scot and his wife Jane Young from Jedburgh who settled in Ardossan, South Australia
John Campbell McLachlan (son of the above) married Susan Bryson Vandepeer
Grace McLean McLachlan (daughter of the above) married William James Munns Vandepeer
William James Vandepeer & Susan Bryson's are Susans & Williams parents who also resided in Ardrossan.
My great grandparents John Campbell MacLachlan & Susan Bryson Vandepeer moved to York, Western Australia

Offline mikevan2009

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 November 22 08:58 GMT (UK) »
i come to this discussion a little late but :
firstly i question the "James" in William Vandepeer's (1825-1904) name. I have seen no evidence that this was ever used as part of his name. it seems to have been something added and propagated on the internet. In all the documents and reports i have looked at not once (well yes! in "the ships list" he is listed as Vandepeer William James, but that is a transcription error that is easily identified).
In his will, his grave marker, his many lease agreements with government land dealings and many, many newspaper reports, on things where others are mentioned and either their second name or their middle initial is used, William is only ever referred to as William Vandepeer.
Even where his eldest son is mentioned in the same article, as William James Munns Vandepeer, William (sr) is still only ever mentioned as William Vandepeer.
I would love for someone to prove me wrong.