Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63218 times)

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking at an adult card, it still seems to be green to me, with a blue floral "security" pattern inside a black border printed on the front and blue security printing (NATIONAL REGISTRATION IDENTITY CARD in very small print repeated continually across the surface of the card) on the inside.

Is it possible that the letter codes cover streets in alphabetic order within some administrative division or that they represent an administrative division such as an electoral ward?

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Looking at an adult card, it still seems to be green to me, with a blue floral "security" pattern inside a black border printed on the front and blue security printing (NATIONAL REGISTRATION IDENTITY CARD in very small print repeated continually across the surface of the card) on the inside.

Yes that matches exactly the description of my grandmother's card.  Last night I thought it looked green but in daylight you could say it is blue  ::).

The buff card is plain - no floral pattern and no blue security printing inside.

Was your mother the second child?

Yes she was the second child.

I also have a Declaration of Identity by an Applicant for a Green Identity Card for the purposes of the National Registration 1939.

It says that it is an application for a Green Registration Card (with Holder's Description) in substitution for the Identity Card surrendered herewith.

It is the original form and has been completed by by grandfather NJ1160:1 and has a declaration by a doctor of medicine.

What I don't understand is when you apply for something like this you have to give the form in so I don't know why I have got it.

I have just been having another read at this application form.  It requires 2 passport type photographs - full face, no hat - and on the declaration it says "that I am not registered as an Alien under the Aliens Order and that I am not in possession of a valid passport.

I am fairly certain my grandparents didn't have passports as I  know they never went overseas.

I will try and scan bits of the form later to miss out my granddad's details and post it.

I don't know why he filled the form but didn't submit it.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Here the the back and front of the green/blue ID card.

Does anyone know whay the octagonal stamps with the crown in are for.  Both this one and the buff one seem to have been stamped several times with them.

Luzzu

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 14:29 GMT (UK) »
And the form for the "Green Identity Card (with Holder's description).

The details required on the 2nd half of the first page which I have covered are:-

Surname
Surname at birth (if different)
Other names
Full postal address of present residence
Place of birth (town, parish, country)
Date of birth
National registration ID number
Occupation
State where resident (full postal address) on National Registration Day,
29 September 1939

Luzzu

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the cards were stamped when they issued Ration Books, so people couldn't get more than one at a time.  My registration card has those stamps on too and M F stands for Ministry of Food.

Lizzie

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the cards were stamped when they issued Ration Books, so people couldn't get more than one at a time.  My registration card has those stamps on too and M F stands for Ministry of Food.

Didn't know MF stood for Ministry of Food but now I know it does, it makes a lot of sense that the stamps are related to the issue of ration books.

Luzzu

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 22 December 09 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I have just received an interesting email from National Health Service Information Centre (NHS IC).

I made another request for information from the NHS Central Register, http://tinyurl.com/yff6kbk not from the 1939 National Registration.

The request was for information about someone I knew had died in 1998.

In their reply to me the NHS IC gave me details of the person from the 1939 National Registration but omitted the address they were at in 1939.
I intend to email back to attempt to get the address also.

If successful it means requests for information under the 1939 may be obtained even if an address is not known.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
More interesting than ever Guy.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 15:54 GMT (UK) »

If successful it means requests for information under the 1939 may be obtained even if an address is not known.
Cheers
Guy

I know with the Canadian National Registration it says that you had to have the address however when I called the lady said, "well as long as you know the Town we can find it"

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!