Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63203 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #99 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I have not read all of this thread, so apologies if it has already been covered.

I fail to see how people can expect to receive details from all residents at an address. As to give that information for a living person would breach their rights to privacy; and you cannot very well ask a question along the lines of '...please provide details of all people at this address who are no longer living.".

Ken

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Have a read of Reply No. 9 and a look at the link on Reply No. 54.

I am hoping to receive similar information when mine is dealt with.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 15 January 10 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I have not read all of this thread, so apologies if it has already been covered.

I fail to see how people can expect to receive details from all residents at an address. As to give that information for a living person would breach their rights to privacy; and you cannot very well ask a question along the lines of '...please provide details of all people at this address who are no longer living.".

Ken

Scottish returns are for an individual only, searchable by date of death. I believe Guy was able to get info on all at the address he requested.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 15 January 10 15:52 GMT (UK) »

Ken

Far easier just to write-
I wish to request under the Freedom of Information Act details of the residents
of XX Street, X town  from the 1939 National Registration.

The NHS-IC have a database that tells them whether the people are alive or dead.

If they are alive the NHS-IC will redact their information, If they are dead the NHS-IC will release the information.

Why make things difficult?

There will be a number of people who slip through the net such as those who emigrated, very occasionally it may be necessary to supply further details (perhaps details of their death).
When dealing with civil servants never volunteer more information than necessary.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Friday 15 January 10 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I've spoken to NHSIC today, which will be announcing fairly soon how it plans to provide a better facility to gain access (in a matter of weeks).

Re: Northern Ireland. The records are held at PRONI, and they have confirmed they are watching proceedings here on the mainland. Any prospective release in NI will likely be delayed due to the massive move by PRONI later this year, when the archive will be closed for nine months. But they are looking into it.

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Friday 15 January 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Excellent news, thanks for keeping us informed  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Friday 15 January 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I would advise everyone to get their requests in now while it is still free.

When there is a system in place there will be a charge.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Friday 15 January 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
can you email a request or is a letter better?

edit: thanks I have just seen Guy's earlier post with details of how to apply.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Saturday 16 January 10 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Where would I write to or e-mail to?  As I would like to get information on my family.

Cheers
Anne

P.S. I have just found my dad`s card  can;t find  mum`s yet

Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton