Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63206 times)

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Please can someone tell me how to apply for information and can you what information they need. In a lot of cases I know the names of people and whereabouts they lived but not the exact addresses.

If I could get information on some of my relatives then it might help me a great deal.

Christine
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I've just bitten the bullet and e-mailed the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland for information concerning an address in Belfast in 1939 via the FOI Act. Will let you know how I get on...

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Behindthe frogs, That is the problem, if my memory is correct then London Road Boston is numbered wrongly, with the odd side being the RHS going out of town. Might be something to do with the fact that at its beginning it is one sided with the river Witham on the left for the first half mile. This may be the cause of the wrong side numbering if my memory is right.
Would welcome confirmation before I apply.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Christine,
if you look back to p7 Guy made this reply to a question from Ken which explains -

I fail to see how people can expect to receive details from all residents at an address. As to give that information for a living person would breach their rights to privacy; and you cannot very well ask a question along the lines of '...please provide details of all people at this address who are no longer living.".

Ken

Far easier just to write-
I wish to request under the Freedom of Information Act details of the residents
of XX Street, X town  from the 1939 National Registration.

The NHS-IC have a database that tells them whether the people are alive or dead.

If they are alive the NHS-IC will redact their information, If they are dead the NHS-IC will release the information.

Why make things difficult?

There will be a number of people who slip through the net such as those who emigrated, very occasionally it may be necessary to supply further details (perhaps details of their death).
When dealing with civil servants never volunteer more information than necessary.
Cheers
Guy  

So I just applied asking for the information under the Act relating to
Name of person   XXY, born xxyy  died xxxyyy. giving details of GRO reference for the death.
does that help?
Pauline

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Well I sent a request but didn't get a "positive" response.  I had 2 replies, one stating 
Your enquiry has been logged and we will do our best to resolve this as soon as possible.
and another one sent a minute later which stated
Your request is currently being considered.  If The Information Centre is able to provide you with the information you have requested, then under the Freedom of Information Act you are entitled to receive it within 20 working days. We may need to contact you to clarify your request.

I wonder what the problem is with my request.  Both the people who lived at the address I quoted are dead and they didn't have any offspring, so along with some cousins, I must be the next of kin (my aunt if still alive would be 112, so obviously her parents are deceased too, and the last of her siblings to die was my mum who died in 2007.

Lizzie

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, I received two replies too.
The first is an acknowledgement of your email, the second a more detailed (but probably automated) reply.  So don't worry I'm sure they have it in hand. :)
Pauline

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Well I sent a request but didn't get a "positive" response.  I had 2 replies, one stating 
Your enquiry has been logged and we will do our best to resolve this as soon as possible.
and another one sent a minute later which stated
Your request is currently being considered.  If The Information Centre is able to provide you with the information you have requested, then under the Freedom of Information Act you are entitled to receive it within 20 working days. We may need to contact you to clarify your request.

I wonder what the problem is with my request.  Both the people who lived at the address I quoted are dead and they didn't have any offspring, so along with some cousins, I must be the next of kin (my aunt if still alive would be 112, so obviously her parents are deceased too, and the last of her siblings to die was my mum who died in 2007.

Lizzie

They are exactly the same as the replies I got

Rosie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Everyone seems to get the same two and they are followed by a third part of which states "it has been necessary to assign this to our second line of support for further investigation".

This apparently just means that it has been passed to an actual person to be dealt with.

Selina

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Deleted
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex