Author Topic: Born in the tower of London  (Read 9005 times)

Offline nsm1991

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born in the tower of London
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 December 11 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There's quite a lot to be found at the National Archives about John Edward Westcott.  Much is from Pay Lists, but this summary fromxxxx may be of interest

Offline nsm1991

• RootsChat Extra
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: Friday 23 December 11 13:42 GMT (UK) »
    Sorry,clicked too soon:
    TNA WO 97/4136 includes detailed service and discharge records.  Service: Home,28 Sept 1870 -30 July 1882; Egypt 31 July   1882-13 Nov 1882; Home 1882-.  Campaigns: Egypt 1882. Medal Star of Egypt 1882 and clasp for Tel El Kabir; Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct 1 Sept 1888.  Certificate for Musketry, Hythe, August 1878; Certificate for education, 2nd Class, 23 January 1873.
    exemplary and sober at discharge from Rifle Brigade. Hospitalization: fracture, fibia and tibula July 1875(Windsor), boil 1877 (Windsor), acute rheumatism 1877 (Shorncliffe), ulcer 1877 (London) eczema (face) 1878 (London); unspecified SS Batavia July 1882.

I do have a photo of him in uniform.

Have a good Christmas too

nsm1991

Offline nsm1991

• RootsChat Extra
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: Friday 23 December 11 13:51 GMT (UK) »
    Hello once more.

I should have said that John Edward and Elizabeth Alma are my great grandparents through the marriage of their /ninth child, Edith Lilian Westcott in 1915 to Albert Wallace Wherry.

I also have very (highly, exceedingly) dim memories of their ?7th child, Stanley L Westcott.

Plus rather less dim (but still pretty dim) memories of their ?10th child, Ida, (and her husband Lionel Larkworthy). 
    When we were young, my mother used to take my sister and I to Heathfield about once a year to see them.

nsm1991

Offline pzpalmtree

• RootsChat Extra
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 06:53 BST (UK) »
    Hi, I have a very good copy of your family tree, as Charles was my Grandfather and I would think you are my 2nd cousin, I also have a copy of a 3 volume book that was written about the history of the Larkworthy's that contains the information you are trying to find, please contact me.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
    • RootsChat Marquessate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 08:07 BST (UK) »
    Hi pzpalmtree

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

natureslight, who started this topic, hasn't been online here since 2012 but as long as his email address hasn't changed, should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

If not, you could try sending a personal message but you'll need to increase your post count to be able to access the system.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
    Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
    Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
    Chandler-Chelsea

Offline nsm1991

• RootsChat Extra
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
    Hi pzpalmtree
      It does indeed sound as though we could be 2nd cousins and I'm absolutely fascinated by all you have to say.  I may well also be able to fill in a lot of Westcott history, while for years I've wanted to fill out my very distant and vague memories of seeing Lionel and Ida Larkworthy at Heathfield.
    I'm not very computerate though and sadly am struggling a bit to find my way around Rootschat - mainly I guess through my own lack of practice.
    I did try to send you a personal message but it bounced back to me because it said your inbox was full.
     Can you or anybody help please??  I'd really like to be in touch if at all possible.
    Best wishes

Offline pzpalmtree

• RootsChat Extra
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 20:50 BST (UK) »
    Hi, My grandmother was a sister to Ida, so it is not a side of the family I have spent alot of time of but one of the members of the family (a westcott) has written a 3 volume book on his family history what we helped with so I do have quite alot of info even though I did not do the research myself. what takes it back to a John Westcott around 1780-1800.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
    • RootsChat Marquessate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 August 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
    Hi nsm1991

Welcome back!

Glad to see you have found each other here.

At the time you posted, pzpalmtree didn't have enough posts to be able to use the personal message but they have replied on the topic now so you should both be able to use the personal message system to exchange email addresses off-forum and then continue elsewhere if that is easier for you.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
    Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
    Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
    Chandler-Chelsea