Author Topic: Mary Quarman  (Read 2940 times)

Offline benrig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Quarman
« on: Tuesday 10 November 09 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any dates and details of Mary Quarman, Temple Cloud, whose name appears on a grandfather clock dial that i have just acquired?

Grant

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Quarman
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

George, Joseph and Samuel Quarman are all listed as Bristol clockmakers in 1770/80.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benrig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply, i knew that but am puzzled by Mary Quarman's name on dial, was she married to one of these and carried on business as widow? or was she a clockmaker in her own right?

Grant

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This may be of some help to you
A Mary Mathews married a Samuel Quarman 1771 in Midsomer Norton ( which is just five miles away )
Info is from Boyd's  marriage index (which I have saved for all the  listed Quarman's-  as I've been researching my own Quarman lines for years)
 I know that Samuel is the most  well known of  the clockmaking "brothers".

There are  a few Mary Quarman's in the area and surrounds  through out the 18th and 19th centuries , so it's hard to tell what era your clock comes from.

whether the above is Samuel Quarman "clockmaker" marriage I don't know , you'll have to follow it up - marriages usually took place in the bride's parish. Mary could also be a daughter.

Have you thought about having the clock dated by someone who knows about clocks- an antique clock  dealer or the like ? They usually can tell by the movements when it may have been made - thus narrowing it to a decade.  It sounds unusual that it has a woman's name on it. Maybe it was for a wedding present, or birth (??).

Can I ask how you acquired it? Was it passed down or bought ?- for example if it was passed down to you  it may be easier to trace it's origins
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u