Author Topic: MAYES/DEIGHTON/COX of Knotting  (Read 12622 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MAYES/DEIGHTON/COX of Knotting
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
John Tunn married Ann Amos in Sharnbrook in 1790, and they baptised half a dozen children there, although they seem to have been pretty haphazard about having them done, being up to six years after the birth. What odds that Catherine was missed altogether?

This was the only Tunn family baptising children in Sharnbrook at that time

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 13:41 GMT (UK) »
It's Sawford, not Lawford........

Yes, there's loads of Sawford names being transcribed as Lawford on census, plus the name also varies to Sawfoot or Salford or Safford.

Doesn't make it easy; it would be nice if the Soundex search grouped Lawford with Sawford.

John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Found another triangular link with these families.   

Hannah Mayes b 1853 Knotting daughter of William Mayes - labourer of Ravensden;  married William York in 1851 at Knotting. Their daughter Elizabeth born 1853 Yelden, first married Dennis Deighton in 1869 at Yelden - & when he died in 1884, she married John Cox in 1885. 

John Cox 1839 being son of William Cox, whose other son Joseph married Mary Mayes another daughter of William Mayes of Ravensden.
Clement - Croydon

Offline Mark Tunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 02:56 GMT (UK) »
I have some info. on the TUNN name at www.tunn.com if it will help
Tunn, Waldron,  Gillespie, and Ashley

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark  & welcome to RootsChat....

I 've had a look at your website & looked at the list of Tunns.

To save me having to look at each one in turn to see if they are relevant can you guide us to those in Bedfordshire. I did find the William Tunn who married Elizabeth Clark at Souldrop on 1 Feb 1813 whose childrens' baptisms are on the IGI & the family is living in Odell on 1841 census.

Cheers John
Clement - Croydon

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
John P of Bedford
I know that I am going over old ground here, but if I say that one of our members has got a bit of a problem with her Mayes ancestry you will know who it is contacting you.
We have a John Mayes most probably baptised at Cople on the 11th May 1760 the son of John and Mary Mayes. As yet I cannot find a marriage except for a John Mayes marrying a Mary Barker in Ardleigh Essex 10th October 1758.

There is reason to believe that this John Mayes was later known as John Mayes Junior who married his first wife Sarah Castleman at Ravensden on the 24th June 1787, Sarah died in 1789 and John married again a Mary Francis at St George's, Hanover Square in 1791

As there was a farmer known as John Mayes Senior living in Ravensden and both a John Mayes Senior and John Mayes Junior appear on the Muster rolls for Ravensden, the member thought that they were father and son. But as there was no sign of John Junior in the will of John Senior and also no sign of a baptism, doubts are creeping in.

I would appreciate yours or any other roots chatters thoughts on this.
Regards
Mary 

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
John Mays senior doesn’t appear in the 1803 Muster List, so presumably was over 55, as he does appear in the 1803 return of Transport Teams. And John Mayes jun must have been under 55 . There are only two John Mayes burials in Ravensden 1803-1851 – on 9 Aug 1807, no age, possibly John sen, and on 20 Jan 1840 age 80, probably John jun, and he fits with the 1760 Cople baptism. There were no Mays burials in Cople before 1797. Mary Mays, mother of John bap 1860 wasn’t buried in Cople. There’s a Mary Grant Mayes, no age, buried at Ravensden in 1803. Might this have been John’s mother, and is the middle name Grant of any significance?

Does the 1787 marriage in Ravensden give a parish of residence for John? How have you established that the London marriage is Ravensden John?

I think it was probably the Cople family who moved to Ravensden, and it was they who were John junior and senior, father and son, but I can’t prove it. I don’t know if there were other John Mayes already in Cople.

I really start to get worried when you talk about an Essex marriage. Whilst the names and dates fit is there any hard evidence to link Essex with Cople? OK, I know, the Cople couple weren’t from Cople, judging by parish register entries for Mays, so they had to have come from somewhere. A William Mays married Ann Wright on 14 May 1781 in Cople. He wasn’t baptised there. Did the Essex couple have a son William before the appearance of the couple in Cople? Did they disappear off the radar screen in Essex after 1759?

I don’t like coincidences, and a marriage in Essex and move to Cople, where there were no Mays, followed by the move of the son (and possibly the parents too) to Ravensden, which was full of Mays, is too much of a coincidence for me.

David
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline maryphil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 07:42 GMT (UK) »
David
Thank-you for answering so quickly. Most of the questions you have asked me I can't answer straight away, as I am passing on secondhand information. It is not my ancestry. I do know it has been collected over many years of research, but in family history terms a very experienced researcher can take wrong turns all the while.
Mary Grant Mayes sounds interesting, my gut feeling tells me to stay with Ravensden and dismiss Essex for the time being. That was me looking at Family Search for inspiration. I am also wondering about two other possibilities in a couple of brothers who lived at Keysoe, George and John. There was a George Mayes married to an Elizabeth Pain, he was a tailor, they married at Keysoe 15th January 1761, Elizabeth came from Riseley. They had a son John baptised at Keysoe 17th November 1765. He had a brother John, could John Junior be named after this brother?
Do you agree that it doesn't always follow that a child called junior has to be named for the father?
Regards
Mary

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 07:58 GMT (UK) »

Do you agree that it doesn't always follow that a child called junior has to be named for the father?

Yes. I agree. It's usually a means of differentiating between two people of the same name in the same village, and whilst they're usually father and son, that's not always the case. I've seen uncle/nephew, grandson/grandfather, cousins, and two who don't appear to be related, described as junior and senior. It's just a method of saying that one's older than the other, in the same way as younger/elder.

But my feeling is that they were the father and son from Cople

My questions weren't really meant to be answered! They were, rather, issues that occurred to me which I thought were worthy of being flagged.

David