Author Topic: John MITCHELL born 1792  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
John MITCHELL born 1792
« on: Wednesday 11 November 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am desperately trying to find out more information about my 4x Great Grandfather John Mitchell. He was  born in 1792. But I do not know where. He shows up the 1841 Census living in Kilmersdon with his wife Ann and two of their children Joseph and Mary Ann. John was a Carpenter. Sadly John died in 1846 aged 54 so I have very little information to go on.

I think that John and Ann Pike married in East Pennard(1 Mar 1813), but this does not seem to be John's parish (neither does Kilmersdon).

Does any one know how I might break down this particular brick wall. I really want to find more about the Mitchell line as this was my maiden name.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Mitchell born 1792
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

Courtesy of Freereg, I have found the baptisms of children of John and Ann MITCHELL as follows:

Midsomer Norton, St Johns

02/09/1827 Joseph MITCHELL s/o John and Ann MITCHELL. Abode: Norton, carpenter.

05/08/1832 Mary Ann MITCHELL, d/o John and Ann MITCHELL, abode Norton, capenter.

09/02/1823 Eliza MITCHELL, d/o John and Ann MITCHELL, abode: Norton, carpenter.

Ann MITCHELL is shown as buried in Kilmersdon on 30/11/1848, aged 55. Abode: Kilmersdon.

A burial in Midsomer Norton 01/08/1831, John MITCHELL, aged 1, abode Norton.

Hope this helps.

http://www.freereg.org.uk

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Mitchell born 1792
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thank you for trying. It is appreciated. However, I have most of the information which you list. I was not aware of the burial of John who was buried in 1831. How do I establish whether this is the son of John and Ann?

What I would really like to establish is who John (seniors)parents were.

Many thanks, Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John MITCHELL born 1792
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 November 09 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

The only way you will find the parents of John Mitchell, buried 1831, would be to find his baptism. There is nothing on Freereg for him.

Have you thought of asking the Online Parish Clerks for information? There is an Online Parish Clerk for Midsomer Norton who may be bale to help. The OPC link is http://www.wsom-opc.org.uk/index.php

There doesn't seem to be one for Kilmersdon but the Parish Registers of Kilmersdon and Radstock are online.

I would have expected more children to appear for John and Ann MITCHELL. It is likely they married in the 1810s and the earliest child shown born 1823. Do you have any earlier baptisms?

It suggests to me that they were elsewhere at that time. Question is where?

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 November 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I note that on the 1851 census, Eliza MITCHELL has married a Richard TOOGOOD, living in Kilmersdon. They have some of the children of John and Ann with them in the household.

I noticed from the 1841, that the household included William MITCHELL, son aged 20. Bearing in mind the fact that ages were rounded up or down to the nearest 5 years, he could have been born c1817-1824. If you could find him in a later census, you might get a clue to the whereabouts of the family in those days.

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 November 09 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I think that John married Ann Pike 1 Mar 1813 East Pennard

Their children were James Pike Mitchell Baptised 9 Jan 1813 Doulting
                                 Sarah Mitchell                                    1816 Doulting
                                 William Mitchell Baptised 29 Mar 1818 Wells   
                                 Jane Mitchell Baptised 25Aug 1820 Wells
                                 Eliza Mitchell Baptised 8 Feb 1823 Midsomer Norton
                                 Joseph Mitchell Baptised 2 Sep 1827 Midsomer Norton
                                 Mary Ann Baptised 5 Aug 1832 Midsomer Norton

Eliza Toogood is the Eliza listed above. They also have Thomas Mitchell living with them this is the illegitimate child of Sarah.
A very kind lady has tried to help with this brick wall and has tried to find a baptism for John - She has so far been unable to find him in the midsomer Norton area or East Pennard where the couple married - I confess this brick wall is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

I was hoping someone might just recognise the family.

Any other ideas will be most welcome.

Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 November 09 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

Yes, I fear that it would take quite a trawl through the parish registers to find his baptism.

They seemed to spend most of their time in the area Misomer Norton and Kilmersdon. I think you have Ann Pike baptised in Midsomer Norton on GR is that correct?

I wouldn't rule out Doulting and that area which is c5 miles from East Pennard and about 10 miles from Midsomer Norton. The places which lie in this vicinity would include Stoke Lane, Mells and Leigh on Mendip.

I have to say that, having been doing research in this area of Somerset for years, I have got to know the local names well. Mitchell is not one I have come across in these parts.

There is a baptism in Frome, not so far away, 26/07/1794, John MITCHEL, son of William and Elizabeth MITCHEL. One to bear in mind.

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 November 09 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

It is only fairly recently, that I established who I think John married and to be honest I can not be absolutely certain about this, but based on the names, location and occupation I think it is the most likely marriage.

As such, I am still trying to find out about Ann. So no, I do not have her baptism as I do not know where she was born or who her parents were. The only clue I have is that she had a brother? James Pike (I can not find any Ann Pike with a father James). James was a witness at her marriage. So this helps a little but there are at least two sets of parents who could be related to her.

According to the Parish records, both John and Ann were of this parish (East Pennard)

Any ideas about how I might establish Ann's parentage?

They are not a very helpful couple!!

Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 November 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

While Ann and James PIKE might have been "of the parish" of East Pennard when she married, they could well have been born elsewhere.

Freereg has baptisms which fit, you may have these already.

Midsomer Norton 12/12/1790 James PIKE, son of Israel and Sarah PIKE.
Midsomer Norton 23/06/1793 Ann PIKE, daughter of Israel and Sarah PIKE.

Then on 26/06/1808 Elizabeth PIKE, daughter of Israel and Jane PIKE.

It looks as if Israel married again, to a Jane.

Another couple by the names of John and Hannah PIKE baptised 2 children in Midsomer Norton in 1804 and 1806. The child baptised in 1804 was Ann PIKE, she died in 1806, buried 07/03/1806 Midsomer Norton.

I think there is a link between the Pike family and Midsomer Norton for sure.

Freereg has marriages there as follows:

06/06/1807 Israel PIKE to Jane COX.

28/12/1802 John PIKE to Hannah MAGGS.

Also on Freereg is the marriage of Israel PIKE to Sarah James, Shepton Mallet, 21/04/1778. Shown as both "of this parish" and the witnesses were: Samuel WEEKS and Joseph DODDRELL.

Other PIKE marriages in Shepton Mallet at that time were

James PIKE in 1781.

John PIKE in 1784.

The names are similar and there seems to be a family connection to Shepton Mallet at that time.

I think you might get some clues from Freereg and follow up with research on the parish registers.

Jo