Author Topic: John MITCHELL born 1792  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MITCHELL born 1792
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 November 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Also on the 1851 is James Pike born Midsomer Norton, aged 65. He is in Warminster, Wilts and married to Maria, aged 64 and born Warminster.

His nephew, William PIKE, aged 24 and with the household,  is born Radstock.

James PIKE was a blacksmith according to the census.

In Freereg, it can be seen that he lived in Midsomer Norton as there is a baptism there 09/05/1813 Sarah, daughter of James and Maria PIKE, Welton, Blacksmith.

I think that the family of Israel and Sarah PIKE are the favourites and I would gather information on them to start with.

Have you seen Genuki on Midsomer Norton? http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/MidsomerNorton/index.htm

I should think this James is more likely to be he brother of Ann PIKE.

A request for information to the Online Parish Clerk for Midsomer Norton might yield results.

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 November 09 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

This may seem like a really stupid question - but what kind of information were you thinking I might be able to obtain from the on  line clerks?

I did try the link which you posted for the on line clerks but it did not work.

Edit - just tried it again it worked this time!!

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 November 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

The OPCs usually have access to the Parish Registers of the area they cover. These would be for the whole period that the registers existed.

Very often, they have other information on their database too. It is worth a query to see if they can help.

The lady whose contact details I sent runs the Frome Local Group too. Their website is http://www.gomezsmart.myzen.co.uk

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Do you think there would be any thing to be gained by sending for Israel pikes death certificate?

How likely do you think it would be for Ann  be the informant on her father's death certificate?

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

I noticed that Israel died in 1837 and has a death registered in that year. It might help, or be of interest at least. It depends on what issue of his was survivng at his death as to whether Ann would have been the informant. It would usually be the spouse and I am not sure if Sarah predeceased him.

There is a burial of Sarah PIKE, aged 71, in Midsomer Norton on 18/09/1821. She could be a candidate for Israel's wife. Should she have been Israel's wife, it is anyone's guess who acted as informant for his death.

I did look to see if there was an Online Parish Clerk for East Pennard but no one for this parish at the moment.

Jo