Author Topic: John MITCHELL born 1792  (Read 4867 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MITCHELL born 1792
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 November 09 15:45 GMT (UK) »
On the PIKE trail again.

The IGI has a baptism in East Pennard 25/08/1751, for James PIKE, son of Israel PIKE and Mary MITCHELL.

This couple baptised Elizabeth PIKE there in 1763, and Robert PIKE in 1761.

I found a marriage for Israel PIKE and Mary MITCHELL in East Pennard in 1750.

There is at least one surname variant of this which is PYKE.

A baptism in Midsomer Norton 23/10/1785, Mary, daughter of Israel and Sarah PYKE.

The names suggest that there could be a connection between these PIke families and your line.

It is interesting to note the marriage of Pike and Mitchell in East Pennard in 1750. Could these families be inter married previously?

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 November 09 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Thank you once again for all your help. I really feel that there is a glimmer of hope emerging in all your hard work. 

Israel and Sarah were one of the couples I had identified as being possible parents of Ann Pike. The other possibility is James pike born c1791 and Ann Pike born c1799 parents Reuben Jacob Pike and Betty Abbot.

I have only just got back from work and Christmas shopping, so I have not had chance to investigate the possibilities but your theory does seem to be worth investigating to see if I can find a more definitive link.

In 1820  James Pike widower married Amy Fry spinster  by licence in East Pennard. This, I am assuming, is Ann's brother as recorded as a Witness at Ann's wedding. However, I do not know how old James was at the time of his marriage.  Unfortunately, I can not find James on the census returns or Amy. (grrrrrr). So, this potential line of investigation does not help.

The problem I have is that I live in Yorkshire so can not do the research myself. I am therefore totally dependent on other people to look in the Parish records on my behalf. On another forum there is  a very nice lady who has done so much for me and I would not have got this far with out her help. My problem is knowing what to ask her in order to progress further.

Once again many thanks for your continuing help.

Sandra
Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 November 09 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

May I ask about your source for the baptism of John Mitchell 26 Jul 1794. I have looked on both igi and freereg and can not find it. I thought that I may be able to find other children of William and Elizabeth which may further help. However, the only child of a William Elizabeth partnership which I can find is for Harriet Mitchell born 1794.

Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 November 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

I am sure you will solve the puzzle and find out who is who eventually.

I saw Reuben Pike when looking through the entries on Freereg etc. I haven't explored this further but will have a look tomorrow.

I have noticed that Israel PIKE and Jane had more children later on, baptised in Midsomer Norton.

18/03/1810 George, son of Israel and Jane PIKE.
14/03/1819 James, son of Israel and Jane PIKE, Norton, Miner.
24/08/1823 Henry, son of Israel and Jane PIKE, Norton, miner.
06/03/1825 Elizabeth PIKE, daughter of Israel and Jane PIKE, Norton, miner.

Since the Israel PIKE who married Sarah did so in 1778, I am inclined to think that this is another Israel PIKE who married Jane in 1807. It is possible that Israel, married a much younger woman and continued to have children but I think it unlikely he would be a miner in 1820s if he was the same person who married in 1778.

The logical thing would be that Israel was the son of Israel but I cannot see any sign of a baptism online.

The brain cells are flagging now. I'll look at it a fresh tomorrow. See what is the best approach to take, hopefully.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 November 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Quick reply re John Mitchel(l), this baptism was on Freereg. It is under MITCHEL and you would need to do a search for this with one L, or on Soundex.

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 November 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I have been having another attempt to try and put some pieces together re my Mitchells and Pikes.

There are three burials on freereg for Israel Pike:
7 Mar 1817 aged 17 Months
14 Nov 1830 aged 47
28 Aug 1838 aged 85

I think it is possible that the first child is the son of Israel and Jane Cox.
The second the son of Israel and Sarah James - this would make the birth 1783 which is within a time scale for it to be the son of Israel and Sarah and lastly Israel born 1753, again within in the time scale to be the son of Israel and Mary. Both Israel's were born fairly soon within the marriage - I wonder if they were the first born or first surviving  male of the marriage. And of course the year of death may not be too accurate.

I am still trying to work out what is my best course of action to move this investigation on. I think at the moment I can't see the wood for the trees.

I have tried looking at the other couple who had children named James and Ann but I can not find any thing obvious which proves or disproves anything.

I am more inclined to think that Ann and James' parents were Sarah and Israel simply because James and Ann were closer in age than the children of Reuben and Betty. But, of course this might not be the case!!

Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 November 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

I haven't had chance to do anything today, busy with other things.

I shall try to see what I can come up with later.

Can you let me have the details on Reuben and Betty PIKE so I can compare these? It will save me trawling thorugh Freereg etc.

I see that Ann PYKE daughter of Reuben, was baptised in 1799. This makes her unlikely to me as:

1) She would have been 14 when she married. Not impossible but a bit young.

2) Her burial in 1848 shows age as 55. This puts her year fo birth as c1793. The year of burial would be accurate. Whether they had the correct year of birth when she died is another matter.

The other aspect which favours Israel and Sarah PIKE is that the places they lived etc are associated with the family later on.

Jo

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 November 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo.

The information on Reuben and Betty Abbot.

Marriage - 4 Apr 1774 Pilton

Children:

Elizabeth christened 7 Apr 1774
Reuben                      17 Dec 1775
John                           28 Sep 1777
Thomas                      11 Apr 1779
John                           11 Jun 1781
William                       31 Jan 1783
William                       07 Mar 1786
Robert                         3 Mar 1788
James                          7 Jan 1791
George                       11 Feb 1795
Ann                             11 May 1799

All christenings Pilton

Reuben Jacob Pike  chrisetend 11 April 1748 Parents Robert Pike and Jonny

Source for all above igi (submitted data igi), but some of the data is on Freereg.

Many thanks, Sandra

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 November 09 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

Thanks for these.

I noticed that Reuben and Betty were living in the Pilton area. It suggests t me that the other line is more likely as they are connected to the places that are relevant later on.

Have you looked to see if any of these left Wills? This might give you more information as to their respective families. I have searched the Somerset RO site for these and there are a number ofr Pike/Pyke but none that seem to relate to your line.

On the 1841, the James Pike, son of Reuben presumably, is in Pilton and married to Mary apparently. He has sons, George and John. He does not seem to be the same person as married Amy in 1820. He is still there in 1851 too.

I will see what else I can find.

Jo