Author Topic: 1901 Same Person at 2 different addresses  (Read 2616 times)

Offline jconnolly60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 Same Person at 2 different addresses
« on: Thursday 12 November 09 08:45 GMT (UK) »
My relative Mary Elizabeth Millington appears on 1901 census at 1 address as married to Walter Millington with a child, and then at her parents address by her maiden name Smith. I am 99.9% certain it is the same person as in the 1911 census Mary & Walter are living with their children with Mary's mother at the same address 94 West Union Street (the second address she appears on in 1901) How is this possible  ???

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Same Person at 2 different addresses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 09 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The census was meant to taken of each individual in the household on census night only. This means that someone who was just there for one night would be included in that household, so they would not necessarily be 'living' there.
As the census schedule was distributed in the week before the census, it could be filled in early with the people who would be expected to be there on the night. Therefore you sometimes get people enumerated twice, at their usual home and at a house they happened to be visiting.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jconnolly60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Stan, that clears that problem up and also a few others.  :D

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 09 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I believe this happened to my family in 1951, but by the time that census is published I shan't be here to confirm it!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Vegie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 June 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks also  :)
I was just puzzling over a similar problem with 1901 census.
Father, mother and 3 young children at one address.
Mother and 3 young children at another address about 5km's away - everything the same except no father and different address.
I can only assume they were in the process of moving during the census period.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 11 13:19 BST (UK) »
People probably filled the form in as soon as they got them, so in many cases all family members were listed but on the night of the census not all at home!

I know I filled mine out as soon as I got it, and then posted it back a week or so later.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
My case was we were staying with my aunt and uncle census night, Dad had already completed the form for our home address, but my uncle insisted in including us on his return.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)