Author Topic: placename in Aberdeenshire  (Read 5077 times)

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: placename in Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 November 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Just came across your query, and thought I'd make a couple of points of interest.

My Great Grandmother, Wilhelmina Cruickshank, was born at Sealscrook, Monquitter in 1864, the daughter of William Cruickshank and his wife Margaret Sinclair.  William was a widower when he married Margaret, and interestingly his first wife was Christian Rettie, (possibly the daughter of Adam Rettie) with whom he had 10 children in Monquitter.

Don't know if there is any connection between them and your document, but thought that it was interesting non-the-less!
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your comment. I don't know if there is a connection, Rettie looks a bit out of the way from the area nearer of Turriff where most of the events of this incident were unfolding, but who knows for sure. What I did notice from your post that you are interested in the name of Geddes, and one of the witnesses was John Geddes, described as a drover (1843) - any connection there?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 November 09 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for your reply.  I have several John Geddes' in my family, (my particular branch being farmers rather than the fishermen usually associated with the Geddes name around Banffshire) including a John Geddes who was born in Rathven round about 1797.  He was an agricultural labourer, so don't know if there is an connection with the John Geddes that you mention or not.  Interesting if there was!!
Geddes, Reid, Freeland, Trail, Swanson, McKellar, Downie, Wildgoose, Henderson, Gray, Craig, Brown

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 November 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
The JOhn Geddes I was referring to described himself as "about thirty years of age" in 1843, and he was a drover. It may not be the same one as you  referred to , but  could be related. i could scan the document and post it if you are interested.
Roger
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger

Many thanks for your reply.  The age that John Geddes gave himself as being in the document doesn't fit into my immediate family (that I am aware of), but I would be very interested in seeing the document, if you wouldn't mind posting it, I would be very grateful.  As you say, he may well be related.  I have found in the past that information that I gathered years ago, does occasionally fit into the family tree after all!

Many thanks,
Catriona

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 November 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Catriona,
I am attempting to attach a page of the document, if successful will add more...
oops..sorry didn't want to show heading , but don't know how to resize it now..

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 November 09 22:19 GMT (UK) »
No heading on this one! This is p2

Offline cmsmck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 November 09 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Roger

Very many thanks for this.  Quite an interesting tale!  Don't have any further evidence of a connection with this John Geddes, but you never know!

Thanks again

Catriona

Offline john ritchie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 November 09 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Aberdeenshire  Document  will have ref area no , so you should beable to find the area

Yours Helen