Poll

none

a
0 (0%)
a
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: 16 East Street LOWER GRANGETOWN CARDIFF - Found it!  (Read 3971 times)

Offline metrology299

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
16 East Street LOWER GRANGETOWN CARDIFF - Found it!
« on: Friday 13 November 09 20:32 GMT (UK) »
HELP REQUESTED!

I have  copy of my grandma's birth certificate of 16th May 1890 in the registration district of BEDWELLTY and the sub distrixt of TREDEGAR in the county of MONMOUTHSHIRE.

Her name was Alice Maud WILES.  Her mother was Francis WILES a domestic servant of 16 East Street LOWER GRANGE - Update 1/12/2009 - found 16 East Street, Lower Grangetown which was part of Llandaff in Cardiff in 1881 census - now need to find it on an old map of Cardiff.

The birth took place at 2 Hammond Row Chapel Town Ebbw Vale - Update 29/11/2009 - Now found. Hammond Row was at Brierly Hill on an old OS map.

There are no details of the father. Her mother, Frances WILES was born 16th June 1867 at Derndale Hill Canon Pyon.

Any help in locating

16 East Street LOWER GRANGE - could be anywhere in the district or could be Cardiff?

would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

metrology299

Offline agaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 16 East Street LOWER GRANGETOWN CARDIFF - Found it!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 10 08:55 GMT (UK) »
my great grandfather is listed on his marriage cert as living at 116 east st cardiff but if you google it, it does not seem to exist today

Offline metrology299

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 16 East Street LOWER GRANGETOWN CARDIFF - Found it!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Agaff,

East Street was in Llandaff which is a district of Cardiff.  You may have heard of Llandaff Cathedral.

I found East Street in the 1881 Census which is available free on the following link-

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/CensusAddressSearchServlet?censusYear=1881

If you input East Street in the Street Box and Cardiff in the residential place box together with Glamorgan in the County drop down box you should get the search results.  These show house numbers 1 to 16.

You may have found a few errors on old birth/marriage and death certificates so I am suggesting that 116 is just a case of a transcription error.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards,

Metrology2999