Author Topic: William Raeburn  (Read 10122 times)

Offline purpleshoes

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Raeburn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 July 10 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm researching William's sister Barbara Raeburn (although I didn't know that William existed until I read this noticeboard!)  Barbara appears to have had at least one illigitamite child (possibly more) who had at least 2 illigitamite children.  Does anyone know if this was common in Scotland at the time or if there is anywhere where I can find any further information? 

Thanks for your help!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 10 13:41 BST (UK) »
According to T C Smout (in either A history of the Scottish People or A Century of the Scottish People - I can't lay my hands on my copies to check) the powers that be were astonished to find, just after the introduction of statutory civil registration in 1855, that 19% of births in Banffshire were illegitimate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline giblum

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 October 10 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, have read this thread with great interest, William was my great great grand father, his son james by his second marriage was my great grand father, in my own researches i have been unable to establish where and when William died. Anybody out there help

AR 

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 December 10 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Just found this thread.  The Raeburns' listed are all connected to my Thom maternal lineage.  Barbara Raeburn married a John Thom (Marnoch Parish I recall).  My original Raeburn/Thom line had hundreds of names and I think (will have to double check) I managed to confirm the Raeburns genealogy back to the 1600s.

Regards
Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 January 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I'd confirm the William Raeburn link (not the William Raeburn you are researching MargaretR it seems):

iv.   WILLIAM RAEBURN, b. 04 Jan 1800, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff; m. MARGARET MURRAY, 20 Dec 1827, Gamrie and MacDuff, Banff.

More About WILLIAM RAEBURN:
Baptism: 30 Jan 1800, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

William was the 3rd son and 4th child born to ROBERT RAEBURN and ANNE GRANT.

3.  ROBERT3 RAEBURN (HENRY2, HENRY1) was born Abt. 1766 in Ordiquhill, Banff, and died Bef. 1851 in Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.  He married ANNE GRANT 08 Jun 1793 in Gamrie and MacDuff, Banff.  She was born Bef. 1777 in Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff, and died Bef. 1841 in Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.

Other children to Robert and Anne were:

i.   BARBARA4 RAEBURN, b. 20 Jul 1802, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff; d. 11 Jul 1883, 4 1/2 Low Street, Banff.
   ii.   JAMES RAEBURN, b. 10 Nov 1794, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff; m. ISABELLA MILNE.
   iii.   GEORGE RAEBURN, b. 27 Nov 1797, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff; m. MARGARET ALLAN, 23 Sep 1821, Gamrie and MacDuff, Banff.

More About GEORGE RAEBURN:
Baptism: 04 Dec 1797, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

v.   ANNE RAEBURN, b. 06 Mar 1805, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.

More About ANNE RAEBURN:
Baptism: 10 Mar 1805, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

vi.   JANET RAEBURN, b. 18 Jan 1807, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.

More About JANET RAEBURN:
Baptism: 05 Feb 1807, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

vii.   ISABEL RAEBURN, b. 10 Nov 1808, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.

More About ISABEL RAEBURN:
Baptism: 15 Nov 1808, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

viii.   MARGARET RAEBURN, b. 23 May 1813, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff.

More About MARGARET RAEBURN:
Baptism: 03 Jun 1813, Gamrie & MacDuff, Banff

This Raeburn lineage has been traced with oroginal baptismal records back to 1600s.

Anyone else researching Raeburn's and Thoms from Banffshire?

An interesting stat forfarian makes - although one thing that isnt commonly known about banffshire illegitimate births is that the fathers were commonly written on the marriage and death certs for illegitimate children...so, if you feel despondent with a birth cert that says illegitimate have  alook on any marriage or death cert (especially if your ancestor died young) as the reputed or confirmed father may well be recorded.

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline bootsboots

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 August 12 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi!
New to this myself but I also have James Forbes Bisset Raeburn as my great grandfather.William Raeburn his father appears to have died in 1899 after marrying for a 3rd time in 1884 to Isabelle Mackenzie. Mary Raeburn died in 1880. You may know already that poor James Forbes died in a pauper's lunatic asylum in 1901.