Author Topic: Head of household  (Read 4300 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Head of household
« on: Sunday 15 November 09 13:44 GMT (UK) »
While searching for my ancestors in Wales I came across a possible entry in the 1851 census. What puzzled me was that the head of the household was listed as being only 16 years old. Ha! I thought - a mistake! I then looked at the image and it was correct - he was only 16. Further down was a 49 year old woman - relationship 'Mother'.

I am shocked that she would regard her son as being the head of household at that tender age, but also that he should be regarded as such when he was living with his mother! Or maybe she couldn't read and he, full of self importance, was pulling a fast one!

I'm so pleased I live in this modern age. Although a lot of men still think they're more important than us women they don't get away with it!   ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Head of household
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 09 14:11 GMT (UK) »
From "Making Sense of the Census"
"It should be noted that the headship of a household was a social position and did not necessarily reflect biological descent. Thus, in one household an aged widow may be described as head but in another case a son or daughter who has taken over the running of the affairs of the group might be so designated."

Apparently the 1951 Census ruffled some feathers

The census authorities designated the "head of the household" to be the senior male in the home
The executive of the Married Women's Association passed a resolution noting "with dismay the assumption by the Registrar-General .....that the husband is automatically the head of the household"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 09 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Apparently the 1951 Census ruffled some feathers
The census authorities designated the "head of the household" to be the senior male in the home
The executive of the Married Women's Association passed a resolution noting "with dismay the assumption by the Registrar-General .....that the husband is automatically the head of the household"

Does that still apply I wonder?  Whenever I complete a form, census, or electoral form etc. I always put myself as head of household.  I'm older than my OH, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm the head. ::)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
This is interesting:

"Looking back the Census throws up some fascinating comparisons. For instance Queen Victoria's Census form of 1841 makes clear she is the Queen however, Albert is 'Head of Household'. She clearly sought change, for in the 1861 Census she is listed as both 'The Sovereign' and 'Head of Household.' Albert in this the last Census before his untimely death is relegated to 'Husband'."

Good on yer Vic!   

According to the London Borough of Waltham Forest's Census 2001 Glossary of census terms, Head of Household was replaced by Family Reference Person and:

"Family Reference Person (FRP) – a: the lone parent in a lone parent
family;
b: in a couple family the FRP is selected as the person in full-time
employment, then the elder of the couple, or if both are full time
employed and the same age, then the first member of the couple entered
on the Census form."

So LizzieW, if you're both in the same position as far as employment is concerned, then the government agrees with you!   

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 09 09:37 GMT (UK) »
So LizzieW, if you're both in the same position as far as employment is concerned, then the government agrees with you!

And so does my husband  ::) ;D ::)

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 11:24 BST (UK) »
I came across an entry on 1891 census where the household consisted of two single women and a lodger. Both women were aged 33 and not related to each other. One was a mantle maker, the other a dress maker. Both had a tick in the column 'neither employer nor employee', so presumably both self employed / working on own account. I wonder how they decided who was Head of household, possibly the one who earned the most. The second woman's relationship was 'Partner'.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 12:49 BST (UK) »
I was amazed to see this thread come up in 'New Replies ', I have absolutely no memory of starting it or any idea who I was referring to! However, it was thirteen years ago so I might be forgiven for my memory lapse.  :)

Re the query raised by LizzieL, my guess is that it would be the person who completed the form who was listed as Head of Household. If the women had the same profession I would have concluded that they were business partners but as they're unrelated I think perhaps they could have been using the term 'Partner ' in the modern sense, ie life partner.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 October 22 13:43 BST (UK) »
I came across one where the HoH was a boy a few months old accompanied by his nurse, a butler, and an assortment of other servants, his parents presumably being away.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline jmeagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 23 03:53 BST (UK) »
On a recent 1851 Scottish Census I came across a family with no adults listed. There were 3 boys and 1 girl and the girl who was 14 was listed as head of family.  Does that mean her parents were elsewhere or would she have been the actual head of family? 
Eaglesham, Hilliar, Fletcher, Wells, Reid, Gillies