Author Topic: Henry NEWSON decd NZ aged 80 in 1920 born Harwich?  (Read 9443 times)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
Re: Henry NEWSON decd NZ aged 80 in 1920 born Harwich?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 16 May 20 16:43 BST (UK) »

...... . Arthur Watts sailed as crew to NZ on HMS Fawn in 1860. INCORRECT : Fawn sailed 12/11/1859 when he was rated a Boy 1st. Class  aged 17

HMS Fawn sailed from  ............  three and a half years. She mostly sailed in NZ waters. You can follow her voyages around NZ from  ............  reports in Papers Past from NZ National Library. The library also has a painting  ............  If he deserted in Australia - INCORRET ASSUMPTION - NB It had been recorded that on 1 Nov 1860 his Naval service started, ie he was 18 on or about 1st November ergo d ofB on or about 1st Nov 1841 (Baptism record at St P & St Paul Church Felixstowe. - he was on board ship on 1st Feb 1861 for his promotion to OS C.S. 2nd Class,  He had been on board for the Census day 6 Apr 1861 -  HE DESERTED 21 JUNE 1861 when HMSS Fawn left Auckland it was noted that he had drawn extra pay in advance.

Colin

, he must have come to NZ in another ship - I haven't found it. Also he  ............  to have encouraged desertion. During its time in NZ waters, Fawn gained a reputation as a "flogging  ............  incentive to desert during the Fawn's time in NZ came from June 1861 onwards with the discovery of  ............  entirely men) flocked to Dunedin from all over NZ and many from Australia to "try their luck" on  ............  away. I haven't discovered if Arthur (now Henry Newson?) went to the goldfields as his brother Alfred  ............  and her family there. But an older Henry Newson certainly showed considerable interest in gold  ......
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Beany7143

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 10 June 20 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
Thanks for your post.
1. Date of Arthur Watts desertion
It's good to have the actual date of his desertion 21 June 1861 in Auckland, rather than my speculation that he might have jumped ship in Australia. It solves a long-standing puzzle I have wondered about.
2,The voyage to New Zealand
I am puzzled by your statement "Fawn sailed 12/11/1859" (I assume you have used British rather than American practice, and this means 12 Nov 1859). It may be that this was the date that the Royal Navy commissioned the ship, but if had left for NZ then, it took an extraordinary time to reach New Plymouth on 23 July 1860 (about 253 days), even allowing for "touching at Madeira and Ascension", putting into the Cape, and the two weeks or so it spent at Sydney. Sources here say that Fawn sailed from Portsmouth on the 21st February 1860, hence my comment that Arthur sailed to NZ in 1860. Voyages were considered to start when the ship left the British port.
The usual length of a voyage Britain to NZ at this time by emigrant ships (non-stop) was about 100 days. Ship arrivals were eagerly awaited, overdue ships were a cause of concern: "HM screw sloop Fawn .....now 106 days from Portsmouth" (New Zealander 6 June 1860 p2) ;"There is no news at Sydney either of HMSS Fawn or the Niger" (Daily Southern Cross 26 June 1860 p2). Fawn arrived at Sydney on 1 July 1860, and left for NZ on 16 July. So for me, the voyage was entirely in 1860.
3.Identity of the Henry Newson drowned at sea on HMS Intrepid 1858.
Have you been able to confirm that the above Henry Newson was definitely the Henry Newson from Felixstowe Ferry?

Beany7143

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
This seems like a very interesting story and one I'd really like to hear/read in full with the correct info if that would be at all possible.