Author Topic: 1871 census look up please  (Read 3669 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1871 census look up please
« on: Monday 16 November 09 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a Jane Simpson Bain in the 1871 census possibly living in Forres.  Her mother was Jessie Bain, housekeeper at time of Jane's birth.  Jane was born in Elgin in October 1861 and registered both in Elgin and Forres. Father not named.

I have Jane in 1881 at Easter Lochs, Urquhart named as Jane Bain Simpson, servant.  On her marriage certificate in 1881 she is down as Jane Bain Simpson, mother Jessie Bain, Grocer, deceased.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Betty

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty

Any idea when her mother died? Or where she was born?

I'm 'suspicious' of this following census - wondering if this is your Jane is with her father, but that the father's wife is not her mother......

1871:  Garmouth - Urquhart, Morayshire
Head: Alexander SIMPSON 37, Tailor And Clother,  Employing 22 Women & 2 Girl, b Elgin
Wife: Jane SIMPSON 37, b Garmouth
Dau: Jane B SIMPSON 9, Scholar, b Elgin
Son: Robert K? SIMPSON 7, Scholar, b Urquhart
Son: Alexander M SIMPSON 6, 7, Scholar, b Urquhart
Boarder: Alexander PROCTOR 56, Survey? Tailor, b Garmouth

IGI has:
MARRIAGE: Alexander SIMPSON & Jane SHAND  -  1857 in Urquhart
BIRTH: Robert Roy SIMPSON 1863 Urquhart, parents Alexander SIMPSON & Jane SHAND
BIRTH: Alexander MacKenzie SIMPSON 1865 Urquhart, parents: Alexander SIMPSON & Jane SHAND

On the 1881 Cenusus, I do see Jane SIMPSON, servant at Easter Lochs Farm - but not with a middle name 'Bain', at least not on the source data I'm looking at?

C heers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 09 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for sending me this census.

This research has been bugging me for some time.
I keep coming back to it.
I had wondered the same thing, that Jane might have been brought up by her father.  The name for her father on her marriage certificate is James Simpson, Tailor.
I thought it might have been the James Y Simpson who is in the 1871/81 censuses.  He also was a Tailor.  He went on to marry a Jessie Bain in 1881. She was a widow having previously been married to a John Chisholm.  I have Jessie from 1871 to 1901, then her death in 1927.

If I have the correct Jessie, Jane may have been brought up believing her mother was dead, hence deceased on marriage extract. 
I don't know at the moment what is coincidence and what is fact.

I am hoping to visit Scotlands People so I will look into all the Jane B Simpsons.  I know of one other and she was Jane Brodie Simpson but there are loads of Jane Simpsons.

As you say Jane is down as Jane in the 1881 census living at Easter Lochs not Jane Bain.  I am sure I have the correct one there.  As that is her address on her marriage extract, which took place a few months after the census.

Would you mind looking for a James Y and Alexander Simpson in earlier censuses to see if they could have been brothers.
Sorry for going on a bit.

Cheers
Betty

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
To avoid duplication of searches it's best to link these

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,421103.0.html
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.