Author Topic: LIVERPOOL LOOK UPS  (Read 32703 times)

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:LIVERPOOL LOOK UPS
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,
Thanks for being willing to look up these marriages, but I don't actually need them now.
Thanks
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,

Would you have access to the 1871 census returns for Wavertree?  If so I'd be really grateful for a look-up for my 2xGt-Grandparents (hopefully they are at Ash Grove, Wavertree).

They are Joseph Revill, born Jan 27th 1846 at Walkeringham, Nottinghamshire (fruit merchant) and his wife Hannah, born c.1846 in Hook, Yorkshire.  They should have children Evelina (3 years) and Elizabeth (1 year).

I'm hoping that they are in Liverpool for the 1871 census - they baptised their daughter Elizabeth in Luddington, Lincolnshire in December 1869 and the next I know of them is when my Gt-Grandmother Rose Hannah was baptised in October 1873 when their address is 12 Ash Grove, Wavertree, West Derby.  In 1881 they are living at 42 Smithdown Road, Toxteth Park.

They don't appear on the Luddington 1871 census.

Thank you,
Jo.

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,
I married and Evans too, my father-in-laws family are from Liverpool and originally Holywell. I am researching them with Donna (munchies) who is my sister-in-law. We haven't really got that far with them as we've been researching in Liverpool mostly.
We have Richard Evans b-Holywell 1830 married Mary Ann Roberts
His son Richard b-Holywell 1866 married Sarah Ward
His son Richard Haimes b-Liverpool 1898 (father-in-laws father) married Sarah Weaver.
Let me know if you think there's a connection.
Ange ;D
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 June 04 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Viv,
Yes it was the McKittrick/Maddocks marriages I asked you for, Donna got them for me when she went last week.
Ange

Offline dubbleu_b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 04 June 04 02:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

Had a look at the 1851 census, I could only find one David Spratt listed, he was a shipwright born in Ireland.
Could this be him?
If he moved to Preston there were plenty of docks there where he could have worked.
I tried to check him out by the reference number on the census, but I couldn't find him listed on the fiche that he was supposed to be on.
Where did you get the info (vol no etc)?
Have you got an actual address for him in 1851?
I looked through the entire fiche, but I think there are another two in the same section so I'll try them next time.
Do you think he married? I could try searching through the St Caths for a marriage if you could give me an idea of when he was born.
Sorry I couldn't give you better news but I'll keep looking.
I don't seem to be having much luck with the censuses lately.

Regards,
Viv. :( :(

Hi Viv
Thank you so much for looking.  I do believe that must be him because his marriage certificate lists his occupation as Shipwright.  I didn't know that he was from Ireland though.  He married Mary Ann Stevenson, June 24, 1852 at St. Andrew's Liverpool.  They had 6 or 7 children: David (1855), Eliza (1859), Emily (1862), Thomas (1864), George (1867), Marion (1869) - all born in Liverpool.  Emily (single woman) had my gt-grandmother Clara Spratt (1882) in Preston.  Clara came to the states with her grandmother Mary Ann in 1893 without her mother.  Another mystery.

I don't have an address for David in 1851.  The census information I had came from a bound book in a genealogy library.  It was volume 24, Rodney St. Ward (part) Public Record Office REF HO 107/2182 Section 1.  I was hoping that I'd find him in the census to get some more clues to his parents.  I found an Eliza Spratt on FreeBMD who died in Liverpool in 1852 and wondered if it could be his mother since his first daughter was Eliza.

Any clues you find along the way are most appreciated.
Thanks
Wendy :)
SPRATT, BUCKLEY, LEES, HENTHORN, WHITTLE, YATES: Lancashire
SPENCER, LIVINGSTONE, FRAZER, WARNOCK, REID: Glasgow/Renfrew
RYAN, FLANNERY: Ireland

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 04 June 04 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Viv,

Thanks for looking at the 1871 census for me.

Rose Hannah Revill was baptised 20th October 1873 at St. Peter's, Liverpool (as Rosanna Revill).  The address of 12 Ash Grove, Wavertree, West Derby, is from her birth certificate.

Thanks for your help.

Jo.

Offline kaz41

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 04 June 04 22:33 BST (UK) »
 Hi
If you could give me any help with my family search i'd be very grateful coz i've hit a snag!
My great grandfather is called Victor de Newson Jones on his marriage certificate to Marion Tranter August 15th 1897 at St Annes Church in Liverpool. It also states that he is a chemist.
By the time my grandfather was born in 1903 his father is calling himself John Edward Jones, druggist.
 Im assuming that Victor de Newson Jones and John Edward Jones are the same man as I cant find another marriage for Marion Jones ( nee Tranter) or a death for Victor de Newson Jones. Also the chances of Marion marrying two men called Jones who had the same profession is too unlikely!
At the time of their marriage my Great grandparents were living in St Anne Street Liverpool and when my grandfather was born the address was given as 82 St Annes Street.
Is there any chance that you could look for John Edward Jones and Marion Jones in the 1901 census for me? I have traced Marion Tranter and her family back to Scotland in 1800 but have hit a blank with the Joneses!!
Do you also know of any way I can trace a chemist of that era living in Liverpool? By the time my grandfather married in 1934 his fathers occupation was stated as licensed victualler. Is there a list of publicans from this time period in Liverpool that you know of?
Thanks for taking the time to read this message and for any help or advice you can give.
Karen  ???
looking for Jones (liverpool), Conning ( wigtown, scotland), Tranter/Trantor ( Caithness, scotland), Green ( Whaplode, Lincs), Bott/Bodfish ( Northants), Harrald (Leicestershire)

Offline bearireland

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 05 June 04 06:16 BST (UK) »
hi  :)
i was hoping you could lookup
WILLIAM H CLARKE b:about 1857 in LIVERPOOL LANCASHIRE and BERNARD CLARKE b:about 1859
also in LIVERPOOL LANCASHIRE
and if possable the marrage between
BERNARD CLARKE b1831 carlow ireland and ELIABETH ?
around1855  ;D i know its alot but would be very greatful :D :D

Offline dubbleu_b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 June 04 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,
Is there an address on the marriage certificate at all?
Or is it just the St Andrews parish?
If it's the St andrews in Rodney Street, it was a Scotch Church, as opposed to a Scottish church which I presume was a type of Anglican or non-conformist Church, and their marriage records are listed as Register Office and you can only get copies of them by sending off for them, so I'm glad you have the copy of the certificate.

Next time I visit the library I'll have a word with the staff and see if I can get any more info for you, but I don't know if I mentioned that the library closes down soon for it's annual two week inventory, so it might take me a few weeks to find anything.
Fingers crossed!!!
Bye for now.
Viv. :) :)

try and find anything

Thanks Viv!
The marriage certificate says:
"1852 Marriage solemnized at St. Andrews Church in the parish of Liverpool in the county of Lancas(hire?)
June 27
David Spratt age 30, bachelor, shipwright, 14 Argyle Street, father James Spratt, laborer
Mary Ann Stevenson, age 21, spinster, 14 Argyle Street, father John Stevenson block maker
Married in the Church of St Andrews according to the rights and ceremonies of the established church after banns
in the presence of Robert Ainsworth & Jane Ainsworth.

Does that info tell you anything about the St. Andrews?  I did find out that the Ainsworths lived at 14 Argyle Street and I don't know what their relationship was to the Spratts or Stevensons.    I found an 1853 Liverpool street directory at historicaldirectories.org and the Ainsworths were the only ones listed at that address.

So far I haven't found any more on James.  I thought the census would be my best chance at finding something else about the family. So far I haven't found a birth record for David in the IGI.

Thanks again for your help in looking.  I understand the library will close and appreciate anything you may uncover when they open again.
Wendy  :D
SPRATT, BUCKLEY, LEES, HENTHORN, WHITTLE, YATES: Lancashire
SPENCER, LIVINGSTONE, FRAZER, WARNOCK, REID: Glasgow/Renfrew
RYAN, FLANNERY: Ireland