Author Topic: Rocky Mountain House Alberta  (Read 6991 times)

Offline amersidelaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rocky Mountain House Alberta
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 November 09 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, will email a copy of the card to the museum.
Barrs, Craig, Johnson, Woodcock, Clark, Appleby, McConnell, Duns.  Northumberland, Roxburghshire, Leicestershire

Offline amersidelaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Seasons Greetings to everyone
At last I have tracked down William Johnson, he was born 1881 in Northumberland England and worked as a coal miner until 1921 when he emigrated to Canada to 'take up farming' he was a widower and 41. I found form '30A' DECLARATION OF PASSENGER TO CANADA'
He sailed on 08 Jun 1921 on Empress of France to Prince Albert, Quebec, he was going to a Brother in law in Rocky Mountain House, but unfortunately I can't read the name in looks like John Kocham and  the address is given as '*** (can't read that bit) 23 Rocky Mountain House Alberta,
Happy genealogy hunting in 2010
Amersidelaw

Image Cropped: Only a small portion of the image may be displayed for writing clarification.
Barrs, Craig, Johnson, Woodcock, Clark, Appleby, McConnell, Duns.  Northumberland, Roxburghshire, Leicestershire

Offline canadian_girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 06:52 GMT (UK) »
I am about 30 minutes south east of Rocky Mountain House. I can go to my local library and look through the Rocky area history book,, (s) or the cemetaries are good too,, but there is alot of smaller ones in the area, reserves and small church yards as well.. If there is something I can do, please let me know. I am always eager for some kind of excitement in my daily life,, LOL..
Tina

Offline canadian_girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 06:55 GMT (UK) »
As of today there is no Konham in the Rocky area and I actually cannot find any at all. Could it be Kochan by chance? There is some listings in our area for that name.. Sorry to post twice,, wasnt thinking the first time. :)

Offline amersidelaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina
I too look for a something to enliven my daily grind.
I think you are right and the name is Kochan, I found a John Kochan in the Western Land Grants but as I don't know how the 'township' system works I don't know if this is in the right area. The info is Part SE Section 17 Township 35 Range 7 Meridian W2 , volume 711 Folio 299. Because I live in the tiny UK I tend to forget the vast distances that there are in Canada so this could be hundreds of miles from Rocky Mountain House.
As yet I haven't made the connection between John Kochan and William Johnson (other than the brother - in  - law connection which is stated on the Declaration of Passenger list) It may have been his wife's brother or perhaps his wife's sister's husband.The Declaration gives John Kocham (or Kochem) as living at ***23 Rocky mountain house, don't know if this is a plot of land but he was a farmer.
Any info you can dig up would be much appreciated
LOL
Amersidelaw

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Box 23 Rocky Mountain House - mailing address only

Debbie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
That land grant was for Saskatchewan, the Province East of Alberta...( You can fit about five or six of the whole U.K. into both Provinces......travelling from mid- Manitoba over two more Provinces to Alberta B.C. border gave my husband's British cousins some pretty sore behinds...and we had to have lots of tea stops!

this doesn't mean it wasn't the same person, as not unusual to move around a LOT before settling on a location...He may also have given up farming by then!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline amersidelaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:09 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the info, I presume that they picked their mail up in town when they visited,

Offline canadian_girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
That is definatley his legal land description. As my father in law lives there as well I am going to call and get him to look up that land description and see who owns it now. possibly still in the family,, who knows? If that dont work, I will go to the county office when I go to red deer and get the info,, Let me see what I can come up with :)