Author Topic: Magill of Armagh - Help Required  (Read 9237 times)

Offline Rob P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Magills of Armagh - Help Required
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 05 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Audrey, but this isn't him I'm afraid. I've checked the DOB and it's definitely 24th Sep 1875...

I think I'll have to start with the birth details of James Scott Magill, 4th June 1904 in Northern Ireland (probably Armagh) and work backwards. Would anybody be able to verify the birth details, and if not, how would I go about getting a copy of his birth certificate if I was unsure of the place of birth?

I am hoping that the address given on the birth certificate may lead to a positive trace in the 1901 census.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Offline Rob P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Magill of Armagh - Help Required
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 00:39 BST (UK) »
Just found that John Magill married Elizabeth Scott on 24th October 1901 at Grange Church of Ireland Church, Armagh. Does anyone have any info on this church please? I can't find it on a Google search!!!

Rob

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 04:35 BST (UK) »
Rob:
Grange was included in Down then, I believe.  Here is a link to a Townland map from Ros Davies' site.  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/NewryTownlands.htm

Look under Placenames in her site for Grange also.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think this is the Grange Church you are looking for. It is called St Aiden's.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 18:50 BST (UK) »
PS

It is in the Grange Parish, not far from Loughgall, I am not sure what the actual village is called.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Rob P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 September 05 21:01 BST (UK) »
 :)

Many thanks for all replies!!!

Rob

Offline Rob P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 December 05 14:34 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Dear all

Thanks to the great help I received from this site, I've now got the marriage certificate for John Magill and Elizabeth Scott (married 24/10/1901).

John Magill's father was James, a farmer from Mullinure. Elizabeth Scott's father was James, a farmer and grocer from Annacramp.

Try as I might on the internet, I can't seem to find much about these two places. Can anybody please provide any information, or even a 1901 census look-up?

Thanks again,

Rob

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 December 05 15:22 GMT (UK) »
If you try Annacramph and Mullynure in the Civil Parish of Grange, County Armagh, you may find this helps. As a rough indication of location (not best of maps - don't have time at moment to get you a better one) have a look at:

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/townlands/index.cfm?fuseaction=TownlandsInCivil&civilparishid=376&civilparish=Grange&citycounty=Armagh
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 December 05 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the church you need http://www.diamondgrange.armagh.anglican.org/ but it is in the right general area and they may be adble to direct you to another, if applicable.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .