Author Topic: John William Brook  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John William Brook
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
My gg Uncle John William Brook was killed in action on the 3rd May 1917 he was a Corporal service number 240758 - West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales Own) I have put a similar request out a couple of years ago - I had some lovely replies, but I wondered if anymore information had come to light (my husband discovered a couple of week ago that a gg Uncle of his had died in World War I and the amount of information he got was unbelievable).
I believe that John William Brook was married and had a child. He lived in Kirkhamgate Wakefield, Yorkshire.
Many thanks to all who read my request for help
Kind regards
Susan

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John William Brook
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I think he would have been killed at Bullecourt with 62nd West Riding Division.2/6th Batt West Yorkshires.
A Territorial Soldier..there is a book massacre on the Marne by Frazer Skirrow which follows 2/5th Batt both these battalions served in same brigade (185th) so were pretty much involved in everything together.
There is JW Brook on Kirkhamgate memorial but research online states its a different lad?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your rely Ady yes his name is on the Kirkhamgate Memorial, he lived in Kirkhamgate, his mother and family were still there on the 1901 census.   John William Brook is the half sibling of my grandfather.  I am wondering now if I have been given the wrong information before, or maybe the wrong service number, I have just spoke with my sister who thinks his service number was 21056 and he was a private, I don't how we have got these numbers muddled and that he was in the Kings Own Light Infantry and died on the 16September 1915.
I am getting my self confused now.
Your reply is very welcome.
Kind regards Susan

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/Kirkhamgate%20%20War%20Memorial.html

Hi Susan
Yes the info on the 1915 casualty JW Brook is on this memorial.

Heres the link.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan
Just checked SDGW it gives the JW Brook KOYLI 21056 as the correct lad from Kirkhamgate the other lad was born in Shipley which makes more sense as a West Yorkshire Reg Territorial Wakefield was a KOYLI Recruitment area he was 7th Battalion.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline Andrew Burnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading all the messages re the above, he was my grandmas brother, and I believe his name is also on the war memorials in St Michaels Churchyard at East Ardsley and at St Anne's  Wrenthorpe, and as somebody said he did have half siblings

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Andrew. John William Brook is my grandfathers half brother (same mother different fathers). I believe you must be the grandson of Clara Brook or Elizabeth Taylor Brook, my sister and I have been researching our family tree for about 15 years.
Yesterday we laid a cross for John William (I should say our 3 year old grandson did). Every year my father laid a cross in Kirkhamgate for his uncle. Since my father passed away we have done it.
John Williams brother Tom also fought it the first World War and so Did my grandfather I have all their records.
Many thanks for interest and reply
Susan (Nee Brook)

Offline Andrew Burnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan, Clara was my grandma, and my dad was Jack. I remember Aunt Elizabeth, and Aunt Alma but only vaguely, my mum says that Grandma spoke about William and Tom, there was also another brother Leighton I am told. Last  summer down Brandy Carr I spoke to a lady named Brook a relation through her dad of Norman Asquith, he was my first cousin. It was nice to hear from you, I didn't expect a reply. Best wishes Andrew. Ps I have photos of grandma

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew, I too have a photo of your grandma Clara but any other photos of family members I would welcome. My grandfather was Lawton Brook (not Leighton) the youngest child of Eliza Brook. My father talked of his Aunt Clara and Uncle Jimmy (James Brook - full sibling of my Grandfather). We share the same great Grandmother Eliza Brook.  Like your Grandmother I was a Brook before I married.
If you are interested in the Brook family history I have lots of information (15 years worth)
 Kind Regards Susan