Author Topic: Pollock Possibilities  (Read 1652 times)

Offline danadavkins

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pollock Possibilities
« on: Wednesday 18 November 09 19:33 GMT (UK) »

Although Pollock is a common surname in Northern Ireland my research indicates that the given names of Francis and Daniel appear to be rare. Therefore I'm attempting to research these names in hopes of finding the Northern Ireland roots of my grt grt grandmother, Martha Speer(Spear) Pollock. She married a Francis Pollock whose oldest son was Daniel. Martha was born about 1830 in Northern Ireland but her husband, Francis Pollock born in NYC in the 1830s, was the son of a Francis and Jane Morrow Pollock of Northern Ireland. I have found only 5 Francis Pollocks in 18th/19th century Country Antrim, all in Belfast. Because of the rareness of the given name Francis with Pollock I thought one of these might connect to my family. I found only 2 19th century Daniel Pollocks but they were in County Derry.(Londonderry) I'll post my Daniel Pollocks research on the County Derry site.

The 2 18th century Francis Pollocks were with the Rosemary St Presbytery and St Anne's Church of Ireland. With only a few years apart and with  the rarity of the name I wonder if it's the same family who may have changed religions.

The  mid 19th century Francis Pollock was baptised at St Patrick's RC church in Belfast, another at this same church in the latter 19th.

In mid 19th century Belfast there was a Francis Pollock marriage at a Church of England.

Finding only 5 Francis Pollocks in all of County Antrim and very very few elsewhere I'm hoping that one of these Francis Pollocks might connect to my Francis and Jane Morrow Pollock of Northern Ireland, 2 of their children having been born in the early 1830s in the US.

I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance with this research.