Author Topic: George Smith - Hangman  (Read 25404 times)

Offline Jameshenry1951

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Smith - Hangman
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm Danielle's farther when I was little my dad would always tell me about my great great grandad George smith the hangman,I lived half way up turners hill with the quarry at the Bothe sides of us and my other grandad was the Forman and ran Bothe sides of the quarry and we had lots of fun riding the mettle trucks up and down the quarry

Offline FlutterBye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi James

Thanks for your reply.  Do you know who George Smith married or his kids names, as I'm trying to prove or disprove our family legend, it may turn out we are related.
I see George on the census's (also provided by AMBLY) that he stated he was unmarried.

Thanks

Offline Jameshenry1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Well that's what my dad tol me he wasn't married,are you a smith and where do you come from do you remember the the hangmand tree??

Offline FlutterBye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 January 10 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi JamesHenry
Did you get my PM

Offline TRO19721

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I too am a direct descendant.All from Rowley Regis initially too.

He actually looks like my Dad. Also, we have him as a relative on both Dads and Moms families (I know cousins shouldn't marry !!!).

Our Families names are : TROMANS & GRIFFIN

Then...

TAYLOR, BIRD, ASHMAN & SMITH.

Offline june.m

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too was told that our family was related to George Smith. My father died 3 years ago aged 98 and he often talked about the past. His grandfather was William Hall who married Eliza Smith in 1872. Her fathers name was Noah and he was born in Rowley Regis  1814 and he was a nail forger. In 1851 they lived at Turners Hill in Rowley Regis. I would appreciate any information. Thank you June.m

Offline tango412

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 January 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

There are many people here who all have some connection to George Smith, I've also been told for many years that George was part of the family and I too have heard many stories and read many articles. My Great granparents are buried in Rowley Churchyard and my grandfathers name was Joseph, my grandmother was called Bertha Smith and lived in Hanover Road for as long I can remember.

I tried to research more and was told George was buried in 'bottom church' in Dudley, however I have found a grave but remember seeing the name that June mentioned above so I guess its him instead of George, I found some articles located at the Dudley archives in the Dudley tattler (great title for a newspaper) stating George spent is last days at the pub located in City Road, near the bottom, but can't think of the now right now, he spent many of his last days drinking and was charging people 'to shake the hand of the great George Smith'.

I read George had a son called George, but can't confirm this as I'm new to the family archive stuff. I know my grandparents and great grandparents and think the son of George may be my missing link.

Does anyone know where George Smith is buried, I can't find anything to state where he and his family were buried, I believe he was married as he's known to have been arrested and locked away for neglecting his wife and family.

June, if you want to know where that grave is, then please PM me and I'll do my best to describe it, it quite obvious to find as the grave is large.

Thanks all for any information you can give.

Offline DMP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 January 10 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
the black country bugle as a story about George this week
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/07x8/   
not a lot of info but might be worth a look

Donna
Butler/Willenhall/Smethwick/bromsgrove Briton/oldbury Doughty/Homer/Reynolds/Whitehouse/tipton Greenaway/gornal Phillips/,bala Toon/burton Selwood/tipton/worcester skidmore/hill top Wedgbury/worcester Wheatley/west Bromwich  Wooldridge/oldswinford  Worton/cradley Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smith_and_jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 January 10 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have an interest in George Smith also, thru George Incher who appeared to take over from Smith for acouple of hangings, I think the George (son) is 'Tango' George Incher and possibly the reported son of Smith you mentioned.  Smith could have had a son George.  I think Incher entered into the 'trade' via a Smith relative, yet to find the connection.

I think if we corroborate, we can nail this..

June.m I had a look at the census and see Noah, his parents were Joseph and Sarah they were living 5 doors away from George Smith on the 41 & 51.  Possible relationship.. On the 51 Joseph is born Birmingham.

If anyone knows the name of George Smith's wife and children, please post, there was a report he was jailed for abandonment, so he's got a family.

I think this is George Smith's father (father Thomas, and mother Francis on 41)
Burial - 30 Dec 1838 Thomas Smith, Oakham, 68, Pleurisy. (info Rowley disc)
Frances is living with son George on the 41 (see Ambly post).

Tango, do you have anymore info about your Joseph Smith and Bertha? as there are heaps of Joseph Smith's..

Cheers