Author Topic: *** COMPLETED *** Margaret Tulloch (nee Packwood) 1818-1902  (Read 3353 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
*** COMPLETED *** Margaret Tulloch (nee Packwood) 1818-1902
« on: Thursday 19 November 09 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi their cousins across the Forth!

I've just discovered something in my Tulloch branch that I hope I can get help with.

Margaret Packwood who was born in Bo'ness in about 1818 - married my 3rd Great Granduncle Walter Tulloch in North Leith in 1837 - but appears in the 1871 Census as a Prisoner in Perth Prison and I'm intrigued as to why?  At the time she'd had no less than seven bairns (between 1837 and 1856)

I'd wondered why she wasn't at home with Walter at the time of the 1871 Census when he and youngest daughter Margaret were residing at 47 Duke Street, Leith South and so I started digging deeper - only to come up with details of her 'incarceration'.  She was 'out' again for the 1881 Census at 30 Duke Street.

I've searched 'The Scotsman' digital archive from 1851 (when she was in the Census at 5 Cromwell Street, Leith North with Walter) but can't find mention of any offence she committed to end up in the nick.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Tulloch (nee Packwood) 1818-1902
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 09 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Showing on www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Ref: JC26/1871/280
Title    Trial papers relating to Margaret Tulloch for the crime of theft at Tolbooth Wynd, Leith. Tried at High Court, Edinburgh
Dates - 16 Jan 1871

Margaret Tulloch, married, m.s. Packwood, Verdict: Guilty, Sentence: Imprisonment - 12 months Previous convictions: theft - Edinburgh Sheriff Court, 1 July 1867. Note: Case continued until 30 January 1871 (see JC8/71, f.140v).

If you search for 'Margaret Tulloch' (exact phrase) between 1861 -81 you will see more entries - busy lady   ::)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 November 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica ... let me draw breath! :o  That was about the quickest response I've ever had to a query!

Can you explain how you went about finding out the information please?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 November 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish National Archives has a lot of criminal trial records, particularly those around the general area of Midlothian. Always worth checking.

If you go to the link I posted, it will take you through to the search screen. Just make sure you click for exact phrase on Margaret's name and put some general time periods to help with the search results  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 November 09 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica ;)

I've never ventured into the NAS site before with any success!

I've had a look at all the entries though - even one earlier one for 1856 - but don't reckon that the references to Dundee are relevant as Margaret's youngest child was born in 1856 and one (1866) gives her age as 38 which is about 10 years out, although the Edinburgh ones are almost certainly her.

I'll have to visit the Archives next time I'm in Edinburgh and look up the papers.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

Chiad Fhear