Author Topic: Gypsy Names?  (Read 34867 times)

Offline shadowinter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gypsy Names?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 May 13 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All!
My maternal side is largely Winter, Cunningham and Longbottom. I have a 2nd cousin Jacob Winter that married Christiana Swales. My people mostly hailed from the North. My grandfather (Andrew Winter) evidently moving South to the Croydon area where he married my grandmother Grace Mary Longbottom. Andrew's parents were William Winter and Ann Cunningham. On the UK census 1901, their address was in Hitchin, Hertfordshire...in address column includes the word 'caravan'.
I only just found out a few months ago that my grandfather was Romany. Seems this was pretty much something my mom and her siblings didn't know or kept silent about. Mom brought me to America when I was 13 months old (back in 1947)....so I didn't get to know my Brit family. Met them briefly when I lived there for a short while, when I was 18. Though she did talk often of her dad and how he sold stuff. My mom's birth certificate has her dad's occupation as 'Hawker'.
Has been an amazing last few months for me.  :)

Chris in Chicago

Offline zoedog66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Re - Burge gypsy - Northern England and Southern Scotland. I have an ancestor who was arrested near York in the 1600's. His crime was 'driving a gypsy caravan', so I'm guessing being Romani was outlawed at the time. I don't really know how I'm connected, but I'm pretty sure I am another one who has come out of the woodwork. One of my great-uncles/cousins was named Lou Burge, who lived in Victoria, Australia. He had the typical gypsy colouring and is only recently deceased. If anyone could tell me more about the Roma Burges I would be very appreciative. On my ancestry DNA profile I received some interesting news - connections to a group of people from India/Nepal. I'm guessing this is my connection. I will try to see if I can unearth the exact names and details of the person who was my ancestor. On My Heritage, I have just had another person confirm their connection to me. He also is of Romani heritage. His name is Sean Atkinson. Knowing my grand-father's family, it is no great surprise to me that there is Roma heritage. Too many coincidences re Roma belief, customs and lifestyle.

Offline Threesiren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 November 21 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm a Buck from australia my father is from Mansfield and my mother from forrest of dean area. Both claim they are from gypsy lineage but I haven't been able to find much documentation from my father's lineage unfortunately.
All I know is Buck from Mansfield married a heaven and moved to Perth Australia around the 70s. Dad was 4 and he left home when he was 13 moved to south australia Adelaide. So even at that my father knows very little about his ancestors.