Author Topic: Really really annoyed with the GRO!!!  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Really really annoyed with the GRO!!!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 March 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
They're marvellous at the GRO.I ordered two certificates on line and was given a despatch date of 080305.One duly arrived,early,but the other failed to materialise.Eventually,on 100305,I received an E mail to say that the GRO ref I had provided did not refer to MARGARET Humphreys.I then checked and found I had inadvertently entered the wrong Christian name;it should have been Elizabeth(I blame the family....too many Elizabeths and Margarets).As they had my E mail address,together with my telephone number,could they not have contacted me to ask?.After all the surname was the same for both certificates.They are now charging me £3.00 for the privilege ::)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 March 05 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I totally sympathise, they had all my details too yet the they didnt inform me the quarter was wrong the first time I tried to order, instead they just left it until I emailed them to find out where the certificate was. Its disappointing when you wait for ages then you have to reorder. its my fault but I do feel they are being a bit horrid, wish me luck with Dudley registry office! ::)
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 March 05 17:50 GMT (UK) »

Similar thing just happened to me with a Marriage cert.   I knew I  should have left the wifes surname blank  ??? - she has used two different names, guess who put the surname she used most commonly when ordering.  Got the e.mail to say they were not sending cert as spouses surname was incorrect.  3 quid deducted too, I'm cross because everything else was correct, ah well at least it will teach me to be more carefull in the future.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 March 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know this is not going to help - but was at a Family History Fair yesterday - and was talking to the GRO about their problems - they knew about most and they were very apologetic - say they have had to start a night shift to cope with the extra volume.

I said yes but you must be making a fortune out of us - she said "No" as they have had to buy extra machines as well to cope.

She then asked if I wanted to see how difficult things were - and how they worked - so when I said yes - she said they would send me an invitation shortly.

So perhaps I will make a list of everyone's compaints and take them with me!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Paul E

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Wonder why the GRO themselves haven't ever invested in computerising the indexes?  I know it would be a mammoth task, and given now that there are alternatives working on the case there wouldn't really be much point.  They at least would be in a position to check some of the more illegible entries against possibles, so 'cleaning up' the index as they went along.  Would have thought this would have made the whole operation somewhat smoother.
See what there response to that one is, Keith!

cheers

Paul

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Wow Kieth! I would love to look around the GRO, you must tell us all about it! They must be making a fortune if there getting 2000+ requests each day at 7 quid a time, I wonder how if other countries cope any better with the demand? I recieved a death and marriage cert from NZ within 21 days, thats pretty good service compared to the GRO.
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Offline jax

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 12:46 GMT (UK) »

She then asked if I wanted to see how difficult things were - and how they worked - so when I said yes - she said they would send me an invitation shortly.

Probably not best to hold your breath - just prey it doesn't get lost in the post !!!

;)
Jones, Venner, Kenealy, Morphett, Tree, Maxted, Page, all from or around Lydd, Ivychurch, Romney Marsh.<br />Also<br />Twyman, Daisy Kent/Thanet Area.<br />Also<br />Fidler, Berkshire.  Butcher, Faversham.<br />Also<br />Everson Suffolk/Norfolk<br />Knights, Vann (Wenn) Norfolk
Hilden - Kent and surrounding areas (romany gypsy connections)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 March 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »

Arrived this morning!!

Now that's rubbing it in!!

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails