Author Topic: Hedleys in Cleator, Egremont, Whitehaven  (Read 7032 times)

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hedleys in Cleator, Egremont, Whitehaven
« on: Friday 20 November 09 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Hedley b1824/5 County Down Ireland was the brother of my gg grandfather who disappeared off the radar after he got married c1850, turned up in the 1881 census a blast engine man in Furnace Court, Cleator Moor.

From census 1861, 1871, 1881 I find that there were a lot more than just Andrew. (And from some C of E parish records online which I now can't find again)
It is not, as I thought, a couple of Irishmen finding work in England... there were a LOAD of Hedleys there at that period and what's more they were more or less all in the one street and all born in Ireland.
So a load of unrelated Irishmen called Hedley going to England looking for work don't just happen to all end up in the same street in England! 

Andrew and his wife Eliza Jane Booman had a child Isabella baptised in James St Scotch Presbyterian Church in Whitehaven. I then find that Hedleys have been baptised here since 17c !!!!!
Other children were John, born Co Down, Henry born Whitehaven, twins Isabella and Eleanor, 1854, Cleator (Eleanor married John Shylan), James born 1859 in Cleator

Another brother who disappeared (no trace after marriage to Anna Frew) was Joseph. He would have been born about 1830/31.
There is , in the 1881 census an innkeeper called Joseph Hedley at 55, Henry St in Workington. His wife is Annie born Ireland 3 years later than him and living with them is daughter Margaret Larkin and grandson Joseph E Larkin.

Tradition has it that "our" Hedleys are from Northumberland but I now wonder if it wasn't just happen-chance that all those 19c County Down Hedleys ended up in that particular area... perhaps from Northumberland but by way of Cumberland for a hundred years? Also I've seen reference in records recently of addresses like Newcastle, Cumberland and Sunderland, Cumberland so obviously they were easily and often confused.

Any Hedleys from Cumberland after their Irish Roots?

thanks
peter

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hedleys in Cleator, Egremont, Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat
It can be counter productive to post duplicate information on several boards so I will lock the Northumberland one so that people do not spend time on replying when the work may have been done elsewhere.    Sorry to do this on your first posts!   We are very friendly really....
Regards
Andrea

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 November 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter

Welcome to Rootschat!

I can't help with your specific Hedleys, though I'll print off all you've written and see what springs to mind.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if many of these belong to you.  Families often left Ireland in large numbers, though not alwaus at the same time.  Many emigranys all over the world formed links in the new country, and then those people set up support for family arriving later, providing temporary accommodation and such like.

Also, if you have people missing, it's worth considering that many people came to England and continued on further afield such as America and Australia.

I think with my Irish family more than anyone else, it's worth looking as many places as I can:  Any passenger lisls, Military service on the Natioinal Archives, as many census as possible, Australian Archives search, Directories online and so on.

Just a few thought!  I'll have a look later.

Nice to have you on Rootschat!

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 November 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.

This is a Memorial Inscription for St Leonards. Cleator.  HEDLEY.

In Affectionate Rememberance of ANDREW Hedley who died December 2nd. 1894 Aged 67 years.
ELIZA the beloved wife of Andrew Hedley who died December 29th 1868 aged 43 years.
HENRY their son who died at Whitehaven age 2 years.
ELIZABETH their daughter who died December 4th 1865, aged 4 years.
HENRY, their second son who died September 22 nd 1870 Age 19 years.
JOHN, their son who died November 30th, 1871 Age 25 years.
JOSEPH, their son who died December 14th, 1871 Age 5 years 6 months.
JAMES, their son who died September 17th, 1907 Age 48 years and was interred at St Johns. Cleator Moor.
ISABELLA, their daughter who died January 19th 1922 age 65 years

Hope this is of use.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 November 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Of course it's of use Sandra! This sad catalogue is indeed the family. Thank you much.
St Leonards was maybe a burying place for other Hedleys then, must try to check it out.

peter

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter.

That is the only 1 pre 1900 for St Leonards. James was listed but interred at St Johns. Cleator Moor so that might be a possibility.
Nothing listed for Egremont.

Happy Hunting.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter.

Your Joseph is on the 1861 census with Anne - also another Frew listed.

Joseph Headley 30
Anne Headley 26
Margret Headley 3
W J Frew 23
James Gorden 22

Margaret Hedley/Headley marries John Larkin - Cockermouth District Sept 1880 10b 674

Joseph Hedley Larkin is born Dec 1880 Cockermouth District.

Joseph Hedley born 1830 died Cockermouth District  1886
Anne Hedley died 1890 Cockermouth District.

Joseph Hedley Larkin appears to be with his grandmother Elizabeth at 54 Derwent Street in 1891.  A John Larkin (Mariner - Married) is listed but no Margaret.

Sandra

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Sandra you are a GEM!
Thank you so much. I suspected this innkeeper was Andrew's brother but confirming it has opened up new possibilities. Thanks again

peter

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Your welcome Peter.
Still leaves a few mysteries as to the whereabouts of Margaret Larkin in 1891 though.
Was there just the 2 brothers Hedley - or are you looking for any others ?

Best Wishes.
Sandra