Author Topic: Hedleys in Cleator, Egremont, Whitehaven  (Read 7030 times)

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hedleys in Cleator, Egremont, Whitehaven
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 November 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
only 3 children found so far, all boys, the 3rd one is my gg grandfather who stayed here.
Ironically I now know more about the lives of his brothers than I do about him. Records in Ireland are sparse to say the least as most early ones were destroyed, including census, when the Public Record Office was destroyed by explosion & fire in Dublin 1922.
Earliest full census here now 1901 apart from tiny fragments of 1841 & 1851 for parts of Down & Antrim which, I think, had been transcribed beforehand elsewhere. Luckily I did find a Hedley family on 1841 for Newtownards, Co Down but haven't connected it yet to my own.
peter

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:07 GMT (UK) »
All the thinking of Workington and Cockermouth brings to mind the plight of the poor folk there this week, God help them in the terrible floods. Bet they're not thinking about genealogy tonight, dear love them. I'm sure all our hearts are with them.

peter

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look at Will J Frew - he could have been related to Anne - but no clues there either.
Also a James Frew 1844 Newtownards. Down. Ireland living at 6 Stanley Street. Workington but no clues from him.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Well yes. The census for 1861 showed Joseph at Northside. Workington.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ExCumbrian lass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Am new to the list.Just registered to see if anyone knew about a place in  Hensingham in1871 census. Imagine my surprise to see this post about the Hedleys. My grandfather was Andrew Hedley Shylan, son of Ellenor Hedley and John Shylan. I know more about the Shylan side than the Hedleys so was good to see your post. Have seen the gravestone in Cleator churchyard, it's quite big and gave me quite a bit of info. ;D

Chris

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

Welcome to Rootschat! ;)

What a stroke of luck!  Even if you don'tstrike as lucky in all your branches, you'll get loads of help on Rootschat.  I have!

I'll look at you other post about 1871 and see if I can help,

Again, welcome to Rootschat, and Merry Christmas! :) :) :)

Emms :)
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 December 09 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
welcome to the Hedley family :)
 info I have...

Andrew Hedley Shylan born abt 1880 to John Shylan and Eleanor Hedley. John born born abt 1850 Scotland. other children Elizabeth H Shylan abt 1875 and Isabella abt 1879. John & Eleanor deaths unknown.

Eleanor Hedley twin to Isabella b 1854 Whitehaven. other children John born Scrabo area, County Down, Henry b1848 Whitehaven, Henry b 1851 (prob)Cleator, James b1859 (prob)Cleator. Deaths on headstone above.

Andrew Hedley born to Henry Hedley, flaxdresser, Scrabo area Co Down 1827, d Dec 1894 Cleator.
Other children William Hedley, my g g grandfather, b abt 1830 Scrabo area, labourer and Joseph Hedley the innkeeper in Workington who was married to Anna Frew in Newtownards.
Eliza Jane Booman/Bowman born to John Booman, blacksmith, Scrabo area.
Married 24 8 1846 in 1st Newtownards Presbyterian Church, County Down.

Henry Hedley born abt 1808 Scrabo Area, spouse unknown thus far.

Got lots of cousins here if you want them...
peter :)

Offline scraboman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone ;)

Just to let you know that the foregoing quest is now COMPLETED, in no small part due to Rootsweb and the leads I found here.

All above people are indeed connected to each other and, thankfully, to me.

For info of any concerned or their descendants here is a skeleton of the family as now stands;

Henry Hedley, b abt 1780
              Known children Robert 1815,  Andrew 1828,  Joseph 1831, William 1834 All went to Cumberland except William

Robert married Catherine Kirk
                known children Isabella 1839, William John 1841, Mary 1846, Joseph 1849. All went to Cumberland c1870

Andrew  married Eliza James Booman in Ireland then went to Cumberland soon after
               known children John 1846, Henry 1849, Henry 1851, Eleanor & Isabella 1854, James 1858, Elizabeth 1861, Joseph 1866

Joseph married Anna Frew in Ireland then went to Cumberland soon after
               known children Margaret 1858

William married Isabella Campbell
                children Robert 1853, Joseph 1855, James 1857, Jane 1860, Thomas 1862, Agnes & Isabella 1865, Anna 1867.

William also went to Cumberland with Robert c 1870 but returned.
His son Robert went soon afterwards and did not return and it is thought son James also went if he was the James who married his(James') cousin Joseph's widow, Ann Jane Maitland.

All enquiries welcome
 :)

Offline CSquid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 September 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter (Scraboman),
My grandfather, John Hedley, was born in Egremont-Cleator Moor in/around 1876/7. The 1891 census shows I believe my grandfather as the eldest of a family of James and Ann Jane Hedley of Queen Street Egremont. I believe that Ann Jane was married to two Hedley's so whether James or Joseph was my ggfather I'm not sure. My father used to talk of his father (John Hedley) throwing his step-father out of the house presumably for drink related offences, he later became a policeman circa 1900 in Lancashire. My father also mentioned that there was an Irish connection in the family, from the now Northern Ireland. Still not sure which James was my ggfather though. Very confusing with all the John's, Joseph's and James's.
CSquid