Author Topic: " not completed but under investagation" relatives from Arran  (Read 15102 times)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Re: relatives from Arran
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
well I spoke to Arran today and gave them all the info I had collected from you guys and I just got this email from the woman who is looking into my  Elizabeth

From OPR (Old Parish Records) Kilmory: William Linn (native of Ireland) m; Catherine McAlister (Kilmory Parish) -11 October 1818. All the children were born at Bennecarrigan (the south end of Arran).
From MI (Monumental Inscriptions) Mary b: 28 Oct. 1821 died  30 April  1827 age 6 and Betty b: 1 June 1826 died 2 May 1827 age 1. They are buried in Kilmory Churchyard and the stone was raised by their father William Linn.
I see that William Linn and Catherine McAlister had a son William born/bapt 24 August 1841 at Bennecarrigan....which indicates that they were on Arran in 1841 (at least Catherine was) as the census in 1841 was taken in June.
The only other Elizabeth Linn I found on Arran was born in 1800, at Cladoch, Brodick (Kilbride Parish). Her parents were John Linn and Catherine Bannatyne.
but my head does not need another Elizabeth...............................lol
does that mean it might be the second one rather the first one?
let me know what you all think!
she said they can look into it further for me if I want, which I do want I just want to make sure I am going in the right direction!
I did say hi from you Arranroots!
regards
Elaine
 :D
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

I am still puzzled about Margaret - I wonder what the other children's marriage and death certs say?

I'm happy that the AHM folk were there today and able to help you.  They're very special people!

:D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

I'm not sure that we're any further forward than what we've already found re the Catherine/Margaret conundrum  :-\

I have assumed that your Elizabeth was the Betty b. 1831 , given the census evidence.

Regards

Gadget

(PS - AR - just wondering if the 1841 census info was written in wrongly and she was really Catherine  :-\  )
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
I agree Gadget - the 1800 one would be too early but maybe a namesake = aunt or something?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
relatives from Arran
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
hi guys
thanx for your input
I did think that Betty was my Elizabeth.
but I am afraid I dont understand the Catherine/Margaret conundrum as you say Gadget!
I agree about the Elizabeth from 1800 being to old but as you say might be an aunt or something.
so Arran can pursue the investigation for me ,which I would like them to do , but how do we/I know for sure its the right Elizabeth?
thanx again for all your help guys ;D
regards
Elaine

Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

This is indeed a muddled search

Key is your assertion that your great grandmother (?) has the middle name MILLER.

I've just re-read and you say this

Grandma - Eliz Linn STRACHAN

d/o John STRACHAN and Mary KERR

Mary KERR d/o John KERR and Elizabeth Miller LINN

Key finding here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,418288.msg2839534.html#msg2839534

If she has this middle name then your original finding that Eliz M LINN is the d/o Archibald/ Alexander LINN and Ann RICHIE leads to Elizabeth MILLER and it all makes sense.

If she doesn't have the middle name of MILLER then you need to tell us a lot more about what your certs say so that we can work out whether you're going in the right direction.

What certificates do you have and crucially, which ones fit with what you KNOW?

Elizabeth Linn STRACHAN was b c 1891, and Elizabeth Miller LINN c 1832 - just so we know where they fit in the timeline!

I'd be inclined to go back to basics and start with your grandma's details ...

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
relatives from Arran
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 18:46 GMT (UK) »
hi Arranroots
seems I made a mistake
you are so right about going back ;
so my g/mothers marraige certificate it says;
they married at Townfoot Dreghorn on 28.1.1921
Elizabeth L Strachan ,Spinster aged 30 Waitress of Townfoot Dreghorn
there is a document somewhere at home in Scotland that says her middle name is Linn.
Parents John Strachan ,Coal Miner and Mary Kerr
Alexander Lewis Millar , Widower aged 30 Colliery Engineer of Greenwood Rows Dreghorn
Parents John Millar ,Colliery Engineer and Jane Lewis.
I have just found a birth certificate for Elizabeth Strachan says she was born 8.10.1890 @7.40pm Lorne Row Coylton Ayrshire, her parents stated as John Strachan Coal Miner and Mary Kerr Married in Irvine on 25.9.1879.
I have seen a document at my sisters home that says her name was Elizabeth Linn Strachan, but I do not have it at  hand!
hope this helps you to help me ;)
thanx again
Elaine

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
" not completed but under investagation" relatives from Arran
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Arranroots and Gadget
just to let you know Arran geneology and museum are searchig Elizabeth Linn for m and should get back to me some time in January!
will keep you uo todate.
regards
Elaine
 :D :D :D :D

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: " not completed but under investagation" relatives from Arran
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 12 December 09 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine

Not sure, from what I remember, that you can prove anything starting with Elizabeth LINN ...

:-\