Author Topic: Mahalia RUMBELOW, Victor Harbor  (Read 27054 times)

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mahalia RUMBELOW, Victor Harbor
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 November 09 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alijet,

I've just spotted this post.   :)

I have the the Rumbelows and Watsons in my tree.  The Rumbelows in particular were a well known family in Victor Harbour.  I have photos of Mahalia and Robert Bolger and others of the Rumbelow family.  Also of the original Rumbelow family home at Victor Harbor.  More than happy to share this with you.   :D

Cheers, Chris.

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 21 November 09 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Just having a look through my files and found headstone photos and some copies of certificates as well.   ;D

Cheers, Chris

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 21 November 09 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Will try and attach photo - first time for everything  ::)

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 21 November 09 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there me again :P,

Cain Jelliff - who is he? The Rumbelow's offspring must of thought very highly of him as he keeps cropping up in their history. I typed his name on the internet but apart from Grave Secrets, nothing to show. Is he important in the role of founding the modern Australia? Any ideas, just curious?

Regards

Alison

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 November 09 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Cain Jeliff was married to Alice Rumbelow.  He was a sailor and ran a very successful fishing business with his brother in law Malen Rumbelow.  Cain Jeliff drowned when he tripped and fell overboard during a storm at sea near the Murray mouth on 2nd January 1877.  He is buried at Victor Harbour Cemetery.

He also helped to organised the first Regatta and Water Sports at Victor Harbour on New Year's Day 1869.

Cheers, Chris

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 21 November 09 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christobel,

Realised he was married to Alice, but nice to have some info. around him. They are a very interesting family both in Suffolk and Australia. I think I could write a TV series around them all.

Thanks again

Alison

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 21 November 09 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The 'Southern Argus'  has an obituary for Cain Jeliff.  I don't have all of it but in part it describes him as quiet and inoffensive and "in the domestic relations of husband & wife perhaps there was no happier pair amongst us, therefore the grief of the bereaved wife is very great".

Cheers, Chris

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 21 November 09 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alijet,

I've just spotted this post.   :)

I have the the Rumbelows and Watsons in my tree.  The Rumbelows in particular were a well known family in Victor Harbour.  I have photos of Mahalia and Robert Bolger and others of the Rumbelow family.  Also of the original Rumbelow family home at Victor Harbor.  More than happy to share this with you.   :D

Cheers, Chris.

Hi Chris,

I've just been looking at the photo's of the Rumbelow's, really interesting. Yes would love to share the photo's if it's not too much trouble.

I am slowly working my way through all this info. very absorbing. I'm sure I will be asking more questions, hope you don't mind.

Regards

Alison

Offline alijet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 21 November 09 13:40 GMT (UK) »
BISA

BOLGER Edward Robert parents Robert and Anne nee GAREY/TEARY born  about 1845 Hobart TAS died 13 Mar 1927 Victor Harbor SA arrived 1850 PUNCH from TAS 0ccupation Mail Driver, Bullock Driver, Contractor residence Hindmarsh Valley, Victor Harbor, Strathalbvn, religion Congregational
Married  (1/3) 1 Sep 1866 SA Mrs Mahalia WAYMOUTH nee RUMBELOW parents Malen and Alice nee PITCHES born about 1840 SSX England died 21 Jan 1879 Encounter Bay SA
children Edward Robert (1867-1947), Alice Anne HONEYMAN (1869-1942), Leonard (1871), Theophilus (1873-1875)
married (2/3) 4 Oct 1879 SA Mrs Alice JELLIFF nee RUMBELOW parents Malen and Alice nee PITCHES born 1834 SSX England died 17 Apr 1920 Victor Harbor SA
married (3/3) 21 Apr 1921 Ambleside SA Mrs Emma WATSON nee RUMBELOW parents Malen and Alice Crawford SA died 31 Jan 1938

Goodness he married 3 sisters

Cheers Kris  :)

Perhaps he was looking after the family money ;)