Author Topic: Mahalia RUMBELOW, Victor Harbor  (Read 27057 times)

Offline Geoff Holland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mahalia RUMBELOW, Victor Harbor
« Reply #54 on: Friday 11 April 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennie,
I am also a direct descendent of Kate Bishop (and of course Annie Geary).  My mobile is 0499658764.

My grandfather was George Harold Holland, one of Kate's sons.  I have Kate and Thomas's dining table.  I have visited Woodhurst when I was young.

I have some family charts.

Best wishes,
Geoff Holland

Offline Austin King

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 19 June 16 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hello George Holland,

I was wondering who Kate's Parents are?

your sincerely,
Austin

Offline Geoff Holland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 21 June 16 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Austin,
Kate Bishop married Thomas Holland who was Mayor of Unley (Adelaide) for a time.

Kate's mother was Annie Geary from Cork in Ireland.  She married Robert Bolger who died at sea (mutiny off the coast of Tasmania?).  She then married Thomlinson who also died.  Her third husband, who was Kate's father, was George Bishop, originally from Liverpool, UK.

Cheers,
Geoff Holland

Offline Tillsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 22 February 17 09:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a book called 'The Rumbelows of Encounter Bay - 150 years of the family in Australia' and is a wonderful resource.  Your local library may be able to get it in for you.

I have been trying to get a copy of this book, but it does not appear to be available anywhere anymore.

The only copy I have located is at the State Library of SA - it cannot be borrowed I have had to book a reading session to look at it.

Hoping to do that tomorrow and, if it's good, would be keen to still get a copy but no idea where/how?

Offline Tillsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 25 February 17 11:44 GMT (UK) »
There is a book called 'The Rumbelows of Encounter Bay - 150 years of the family in Australia' and is a wonderful resource.  Your local library may be able to get it in for you.
The only copy I have located is at the State Library of SA - it cannot be borrowed I have had to book a reading session to look at it.

Hoping to do that tomorrow and, if it's good, would be keen to still get a copy but no idea where/how?

Never mind - read the book on Thursday and was disappointed to find 99% of it was family tree.  Lots of detail about each person, it was fascinating don't get me wrong, but I was hoping for more about what the Rumbelows did.  They clearly played a major, MAJOR role in a very wide range of aspects to Encounter Bay and Victor Harbor... but I can only dig up very small bits of information, was hoping to read a full story about it.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 26 February 17 07:57 GMT (UK) »
I can't remember what was available in the Victor Harbor Library with information about the Rumbelow family, Tillsy, but if you get in contact with my old Family History group,
http://encounterbayfhg.org.au/
someone may be able to help you.

Do you have any of the Rumbelow obituaries? The group has collected obituaries and reports of deaths  and published them in books and on CD.

Dee    :)
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk