Author Topic: Bonded Servants Australia 1830s  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Grissell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bonded Servants Australia 1830s
« on: Friday 20 November 09 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a bonded servant (Christiana Munro) b. 1808 Scotland and came to Australia about 1837 - although, so far, I can't find her migration - married 1840 in the Hunter Valley, NSW, area, so I gather she would have been bonded somewhere around that area.  Can anyone give me an idea where to begin my search?
Mary
I am sorry but my email address is not working

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bonded Servants Australia 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 November 09 23:38 GMT (UK) »
This looks like it could be your girl, although the age is wrong:

From NSW Assisted Immigrant Passenger lists:

Arrived 11 Feb 18, 1839, on the James Moran
Christiana MUNROE, 20, housemaid,  native of Kincandrie??
brought out by the Government, father: Findlay, farmer of the same place, mother Alexandrina Ross,  can read, Presbyterian.

The native place could be Kincardine, which is in Rosshire which probably means the word Ross after mother;s name may not refer to the mother's surname but rather the place.

Unfortunately no information about where she went.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grissell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 09 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Judith, this seems to be the closest yet.
Kindest regards,
Mary
I am sorry but my email address is not working

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Bit More,

Just found this... from that voyage of that ship... Christiana's immediate family seem to have been on same voyage

I'm having trouble reading the handwriting, so please excuse and I'm hoping others can help decipher or decode my errors... especially for the surnames and the locations...

Alexandrina ROSS, a widow arrived on James Moran brought out by Govt 
A native of Kincairdine, Rossshire, Daughter of Wm, a farmer in Sarsieplace & Eliza (her surname's there I cannot figure it, so sorry), his wife.  (Alexandrina) lived at home before her marriage, and she was 58 on embarkation in Oct 1838. 

The page also notes the following about Alexandrina:  -  this should help with genie searching
Her three sons & two daughters with her - all grown up and taken down separately. 
Her body health, strength and probable usefulness was "Very Good"
She was Presbyterian and she could read and write...

Cheers,  JM  I'll try to find similar record for your lass  ;)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Here's Christiana MUNROE...

UNMARRIED Female Immigrant arrived on James Moran brought out by Govt.. A native of Kincairdine, daughter of Findlay a farmer in same place (oh perhaps that's also the expression on Alexandrina's record showing her as Daughter of Wm, a farmer in "Sairsieplace"  ??? ) and Alexandrina Ross, his wife.

CALLING : Housemaid.   AGE on Embarkation:  Twenty  ......  May 1838

Her body health, stength and probable usefulness was "Very Good" .... She was Presbyterian and she could read...

Umm, Mary, do you know her siblings names ... the ones on that voyage will have similar records to these two...

Cheers,

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary :)

Records of NSW Assisted Immigrant Passengers for the period you are seeking are available on ancestry.com.

Do you have her birth reg in 1808?  You could search on IGI or the OPR's on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Did she die in 1871? If so the reg has her father's name as John. Does her death certificate note her birthplace in Scotland?

JM   Ummmm    Isn't this the record found in reply#1 by judb...and as mentioned, the age is incorrect.

Cheers
Cando

Edit amend sp.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh Deary MOI,

Yes, Cando, it probably is... Sorry Judith,  Sorry Mary...

Modifying  

But In case anyone is looking for the Christiana Munro born 1818 rather than the one born 1808... 
 these passengers on that same voyage of the James Moran arriving Feb 1839... Here's Alexandrina's children...noticing the various months next to their ages, presume this would be the month they were born...

Alex Munroe, same parents, 28, June 1838,  house carpenter, read and write, Presbyterian
Wm Munroe, same parents, 26, July 1838 house carpenter, read and write, Presbyterian
Anne Munroe, same parents, 24 Sept 1838, housemaid reads, Presbyterian
James Munroe, same parents 22 May 1838, house carpenter, read and write, Presbyterian
Christiana Munroe, same parents, 20, May 1838, housemaid, reads, Presbyterian

Cheers,

JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a bonded servant (Christiana Munro) b. 1808 Scotland and came to Australia about 1837 - although, so far, I can't find her migration - married 1840 in the Hunter Valley, NSW, area, so I gather she would have been bonded somewhere around that area.  Can anyone give me an idea where to begin my search?
Mary

V1840635 24B/1840     
EVERSON  Edward
MUNRO Christiana
MR
MR = Church of England -  Oakville, Whittingham, Wollombi

I wonder if any parish records survive as often they may reveal more than has been transcribed to the bdm register.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Mary may I ask where the birth date of 1808 was sourced and the information that Christiana was a bonded servant?  More curious than anything else ;D

The following may be of interest -

http://www.huntervalleygenealogy.com/fam_ab.php

On their database of families -

MUNRO
  Ross & Cromarty, SCT   Arrived 1839    Settled Denman/Merton
and there is a reference number on the database with which you can match to an email address for this family.

Cheers
Cando