Author Topic: Marriage for George and Kate SMITH, ~1885  (Read 3726 times)

Offline mosmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage for George and Kate SMITH, ~1885
« on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I'm hoping one of you lovely people might be able to help me find an elusive marriage for my great-grandparents.

George Herbert Smith was born on 19/01/1863 in the village of Brimscombe, Gloucestershire. Though he sometimes gives the name Stroud, which is the nearest town.

Kate Smith was born in about 1867 and hails from Barnet, Hertfordshire. Unfortunately, I don't know her maiden name.

I can trace them from the 1911 census back as far as 1891, but at this point I come to a dead end, as I don't know anything about the previous generation. However, it might be inferred from the 1891 census that they got married in Barnet, as their first child was born about 1886, which is when they say they tied the knot on the 1911 census.

In 1911, the happy couple are living at 4 Torrington Park, North Finchley. George is a registrar of births and deaths for Finchley, and Kate is the deputy registrar. (He's also a reporter for the Press Association from 1891 until his death in 1927.) He states that they've been married for 26 years (i.e. ~1885), and have had eight children, with seven still alive. I'm not sure when Kate died.

In 1901, they're based at 99 Salisbury Road, Barnet. He's listed as a journalist/newspaper reporter. They are 38 and 34 years old, respectively.

In 1891, they are living at 22 Union Street, Barnet. He is 28 years old and she is 24. Their eldest child, Tom Herbert Smith, is five, and was born in Barnet. He's again listed as a newspaper reporter - I believe that he was working for the Barnet Press during this year. Prior to this, I'm told that he was a schoolmaster.

I'd be very grateful for any help you might be able to give! Finding their marriage would open a lot of possibilities.

Alan

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage for George and Kate SMITH, ~1885
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:41 GMT (UK) »
how did you come to know the exact birthdate of george
i take it you do not have the birth cert
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:49 GMT (UK) »
there is only 3 george smiths born in the 1st qtr of 1863  regd in stroud which is the reg dist for brimscombe 2 of those are called albert george smith (they might be the same entered twice)
so it is not them that only leaves one
george smith
y.o.r. 1863
qtr; jan/feb/mar
dist; stroud
vol; 6a
page; 315
you could get the cert it will cost £7
that would give both parents names and fathers occ
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline mosmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

There's an electronic database of journalists called "Scoop!", which British Library Newspapers were able to give me his entry for. It includes the following information:

SMITH, George (1863-1927)

Career
Barnet Press, rep. -1891
Press Association, rep. 1891-94: court rep. 1894-1927 [in the course of his career he developed a close relationship with the Royal family and never disclosed in print anything which he thought might meet with their disapproval]

Life
Born 19 Jan. 1863, Gloucestershire. Was a schoolmaster before becoming a journalist. Resided for many years in Finchley. Was a freemason for over 25 years and was a past Provincial Grand Steward for Hertfordshire. Joined the Central London branch of the National Union of Journalists, 24 Jan. 1920. Lapsed, July 1922. Made a member of the Royal Victorian Order by the King. Died 18 Aug. 1927 in the Royal Northern Hospital. Funeral at Christ Church, North Finchley. Address at 1899: 4 Torrington Park, Finchley

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:54 GMT (UK) »
the other alternative and probably a surer bet
would be to get one of the childrens birth certs that would then give you the mothers maiden name
if you tell us the names of the children that you know and their birthplaces  of we might be able to find their birth index
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 November 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
have you seen the 1881 census
possibly him
RG11/2550/110/10
mary smith age 40. b. thornbury,gloucs. head(wid)
george smith age 18. b. wallsquarry,gloucs. occ. pupil teacher(national school). son(unm)
frank smith age 14. b ditto. occ. farm labourer. son
emily age 10. b. avening. daughter
herbert smith age 6. b. ditto. son
living at;high street,avening,gloucs
reg.dist. stroud
herbert crops up in one of the sons
if you want i will have a look on the 1871
the father might be there his name could be herbert ?
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 November 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
george is on 1871 this time states birthplace as minchinhampton which is i believe is the right area for brimscombe
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline mosmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 November 09 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Aha! Yes, that does make sense. I'd not thought of that, my apologies - I'm a bit new to all of this! :)

I'll have a go ordering George Smith's birth certificate, as well as for his children.

Offline mosmi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 November 09 14:40 GMT (UK) »
the father might be there his name could be herbert ?

That could well be him! Frank is another name that crops up in the next generation. Out of curiosity, is his father still alive on the 1871 census?