Author Topic: Middlesbrough Hospitals  (Read 22007 times)

Offline miagre1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Middlesbrough Hospitals
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 November 09 01:55 GMT (UK) »
North Riding Infirmary developed into the ENT hospital, so may have been the hospital where your Grandmother was. (Newport Road) (been there - Tonsils aged 5 or 6 - lost a lot of blood - never liked Jello (Jelly) or oranges since.

The General (near "old" football ground - yes I know there was an older football ground) Was originally the workhouse. Accident and emergencies.

My Mother's cousin was last Matron there. She went on to be a member of the hospital board for the area and worked for the modernisation of hospitals (South Cleveland) (So blame her)

West Lane - origanally an isolation Hospital (Cholera, smallpox, typhoid and scarlet fever) Part of Linthorpe Cemetery contains the failed cases, I believe.

(Also floating Hospital on the river)

Hemlington - originally an army hospital. Then isolation (Out in the country at the time - been there too - appendix with complications, aged 10 for 3 months)

Eston - originally Miners Hospital, then infectious cases, then a General.

Others as Barbara says. Carter Bequest - Private patients & union members?

Poole - TB isolation. (Worked on a Farm owned by the head saw bones as a lad. (Dr Walton) TB? - lets crack open the chest and collapse a lung)

Parkside Maternity (next to Nazareth house)

See: -  http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2008/10/index.html?page=2

but sadly : - http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2008/10/index.html?page=2

St. Luke's - sanatorium. (For TB as well I believe  :-\)

Berwick House (St Luke's) for the cases not able to be resolved (previously).

The original Hospitals in Dundas Mews (Houses converted) after an explosion in the Iron works (I believe)

Good places in their day.

I also remember the older Hospitals before the end of their day. Would sooner go to South Cleveland (come the day).

Regarding conservation of such places, the exteriors may have some merit, but the interiors were unusable for modern practice. So unless a use could be found for (in modern construction and all the environmental aspects) such properties, then redevelopment for the good of the community (although with future hindsight, perhaps not good) is or should be regarded as beneficial.

Don't get me started on St Hilda's area regards conservation - Lots of really ancient sites and from the early development of the area - all gone.  :(

George

Scan at 300 plus for restores please. Scan at larger dpi for small photos. Don't forget to crop the scanner bed out! (Them's the white bits)
Please feel free to alter any work by me for the benefit of the Poster.

Linklater - Middlesbrough/Orkney/Shetland
Cantley - Longhope/Hoy

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 November 09 19:15 GMT (UK) »

My Mother's cousin was last Matron there. She went on to be a member of the hospital board for the area and worked for the modernisation of hospitals (South Cleveland) (So blame her)

George

When-ish, George? Do you have any dates?

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »

Poole - TB isolation. (Worked on a Farm owned by the head saw bones as a lad. (Dr Walton) TB? - lets crack open the chest and collapse a lung)

My Grandad was married in 1938, he wouldn't marry until he had a job.  On his marriage cert it says 'Overseer at Sanatorium' this was at Poole  :)

It later became an elderly care hospital, my G Granny died there in 1978.

On a side note..... Good G*d Barbara!  How many times have you been in hospital??  :o
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L
PLIMMER - Pontesbury, Ashton U L
CAMBRIDGE - Goulborne, Ashton U L
SIDDALL - Ashton U L

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »

On a side note..... Good G*d Barbara! How many times have you been in hospital?? :o

Well maybe about a dozen ops, though I did say I'd been a visitor at most of the hospitals, not necessarily an in-patient.

:D   ;D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline weymouthgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 August 10 02:17 BST (UK) »
Today I asked my dad questions about his life. I knew bits but the feelings towards him that I had meant we never really talked. I found out alot today and I typed in StLukes to find out what he went through.

When he was a boy, (born 1955) he had behavioural problems. He was uncontrollable and violent. Today we may have some special name for it and support for the family, but then they didnt, He was just a problem child.
He was sent away to some place for children that he remembers hating. There was a nurse who used him often as a punch bag and one day he flipped and started to strangle her. He was only about 6 or 7. Because of this they moved him into St Lukes Adult asylum for one week. He told me he thought the first place was bad but this was worse. He wont tell me exactly what happened only that it still makes him shiver now. He remembers screaming and terrible things were done. Even at that young age he was tied in straight jackets. I hope the real buildings have gone because I think it must be a place of evil.

My dad is still affected by what he saw, and I believe it affected the way he brought us up.
I am

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 August 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Weymouthgirl   

welcome to rootschat :)

What a very sad story, I can tell you that St. Luke's Hospital still exists and is in the grounds of the James Cook University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough.

Here are some links to photos and history of St. Lukes, -

http://pb.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/22/6/395?ck=nck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cook_University_Hospital

http://www.countyasylums.com/mentalasylums/stlukes.htm

It has always been used for adults, I think, so perhaps your Dad was taken there as an emergency measure, perhaps no space in the appropriate children's home?   Records are held at Teesside Archives, here is the link to their holdings:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=020-hsl&cid=-1#-1

Hope this helps.
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline weymouthgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 August 10 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I am heavily into understanding my family just now. This will help.

Would you know.... if you go into the birth death registry office can you look at full birth certificates without having to buy the certificate first.? I am trying to find my nannas parents.

If anybody knows it would be helpful.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 August 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,   no you only get full information from the certificates.  Online baptisms might give both parents' names.  Perhaps if you have a look at the beginners boards here on rootschat you would be able to see what is available, lots of good hints and tips there.

Finding your nanna in the census should show her with her parents, then you can look for their marriage, and go further back that way.  If you don't have access to census records you can post a lookup request on the appropriate county board and someone will be able to help with that.  Give as much detail as possible, full names, dates and places of birth if known, say what you already know and what you want to find out.

Good lucik
Barbara    :)

Offline julieriddiough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
hi i noticed this information on the gazettes remember when website, its about the carter bequest hospital, thought some of you may be interested

http://rememberwhen.gazettelive.co.uk/2010/10/the-peoples-hospital.html
Brotton History Website - www.communigate.co.uk/ne/brottonhistory
RIDDIOUGH FAMILY - www.riddiough.com

Riddiough - Brotton, Shipley
Trinder - Berkshire, Loftus
Marsay - Whitby, Brotton, Boosbeck
Yeoman - Whitby, Loftus, Brotton
Harris - Loftus, Devon
Sibly - Cornwall, Brotton
Spargo - Devon
Pulford - West Yorkshire
Ward - Loftus