Author Topic: Whatever happened to Hannah Amy MURRELL COMPLETED  (Read 9122 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Hannah Amy Murrell?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 November 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
If they did not marry at Keysoe (but maybe they did & the IGI doesn't have it); seeing as John Asher was living in Keysoe & they returned there afterwards perhaps there were Banns published. & these may be recorded in the parish records, & that may tell us where Hannah Amy was residing at the time. I might go the Bedford Archives on Wednesday so I'll take a look.

Rebecca Asher has her death index Sept 1865 Bedford 3b/201

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Hannah Amy Murrell?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 November 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
That would be very kind of you, thank you.

Tom

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Hannah Amy MURRELL?
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 17:10 GMT (UK) »
No luck,   John Asher & Hannah Amy did not marry at Keysoe in 1867 nor are there any Banns published there.

However I did find his daughter Elizabeth's marrage to Isaac Linger at Keysoe on 27 Dec 1867 where it states her father as being a farmer. One witness was her sister Phoebe Asher. She was living in Keysoe Row which is where John & family were living in 1851 & 1861 & where John & new wife Anne/Hannah were in 1871.

I couldn't find a burial of Thomas at Keysoe in 1873. His father Thomas was buried 6/11/1874 (died 2/11) aged 84 & his wife Elizabeth was buried 3/12/1871 (died 29/11) age 89.

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 November 09 08:50 GMT (UK) »
John,

Thanks for trying anyway-did you mean you could not find a burial for John Asher in 1873?

Good consolation prize though! It looks like a marriage certificate for both marriages then, to John Asher and George Miller, both of which were in Bedford RD, one in 1867 and the other in 1874.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I have now sent off for a marriage certificate for the John Asher marriage-at least then I will know where Hannah was living before her marriage, and it will confirm her maiden name and marital status. I will keep current thread open until I receive same.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 December 09 17:14 GMT (UK) »
According to the marriage certificate from GRO, John Asher aged 46, years, a widower, and carrier, of Keysoe, son of Thomas Asher, retired farmer, married at Bedford registry office on 6 October 1867 to Hannah Amy Murrell, widow, of Keysoe, father Stephen Stoughton, retired post office stamper.

So Hannah lied about her marital status, but how could anyone check, but her former husband Joseph did the same thing, he said he was single and  married in an Anglican church!

Tom

Offline student

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Hannah Amy MURRELL COMPLETED
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 March 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Joseph Murrell (1817-1900).  He was born in London and went to Orkney as a young man where he married Margaret Sinclair in 1845.  They went to live in Grimsby, having family connections there, for the last ten years of their lives. 

You say that Hannah Amy Staughton's Joseph had fishing smacks.  Have you any information about them (names or ownership details i.e. where they were registered).  MyJoseph was a bit of an entrepreneur and also connected with fishing.

I believed that the ones I saw registered to Joseph Murrell in Grimsby in the 1880s and 1890s belonged to my 2x great grandfather, but now I am aware of this other Joseph I am not so sure.

I do hope that you can help.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 March 10 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Student,

Another Murrell researcher

Here is something about your Joseph:

Aberdeen Weekly Journal Saturday, October 6, 1883

This newspaper mentioned that the fishing smack "Hero", of Grimsby left Stromness harbour Orkney on Thursday afternoon for a fishing cruise, but on passing through Hoy Sound, between Hoy Island and the mainland she was driven ashore by the tide which runs very rapidly in the Sound on the Cleat Skerry. The "Hero" came into Stromness on Saturday for shelter from the gale. At present she is making no water, and all things being well, she is expected to get off last night. The "Hero" belongs to Mr. Joseph Murrell of Grimsby,

I also think that your Joseph was a member of the local council at Grimsby. My Joseph had left Grimsby by 1881, and had gone to London to work for the London Fish Market and National Fishery Co Ltd.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 March 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Student again,

Something more for you:

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times Friday, November 9, 1877
    Municipal ELECTION
The usual quiescent state of Grimsby was not materially disturbed last week by the municipal elections which took place in all the wards of the town with one exception. During the forenoon there was little or no excitement, but in the afternoon considerable interest was manifested as to the chances of the several candidates who had asked for the suffrages of the voters. The following are the official returns for the several wards:- North East: R. McSheen (elected) 453; J. Murrell (elected) 348, S. Smethurst, 237

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, June 6, 1879

Joseph was present when the Foundation Stone of the Fisher Lads Institute in Grimsby, at Orwell Street and Tomline Street was laid. There was a dinner afterwards in the Royal Hotel. Joseph attended this occasion as a councillor.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, November 7, 1879
    THE TOWN COUNCIL “ TELL-TALE” The following is a list of the attendances of the members of the Council during the past year. Some of the gentlemen have not had a seat in the Council during the whole of the year:- The Mayor, 13, 13, Alderman Bannister, 15, Reed, 15, Charlton, 13, W. T. Wintringham, 10: Moody, 6: Bennett,4: Councillors H. Smethurst Senior, 20; Burnham, 20; H. Smethurst jun.,19; Webster, 17; Dobson, 16; Haywood,16; Atkinson, 16; Croft, 16;  Wilken,14;  Mudd,13; Murrell,12; Jackson,12; Keetley,10;

Lives lost at sea:

The cod smack “Energy”, belonging to Mr. Joseph Murrell, has arrived in dock, and the master reports the loss of the second hand, John Paul Williams, aged 22, and a native of Faroe. The accident happened on the 18th ult., about 7pm, when the vessel was about 10 miles from Spurn. Deceased was knocked overboard by the boom, and appears to have been stunned by the blow, for though lines and other means of saving his life were placed within his reach he made no effort to seize them, and sank almost immediately.

The North East Lincolnshire Archives has list of fishing apprentices in its Archives, usually available online, but not today it would seem. Maybe some of Joseph's ships are on that as well.

I too have quite a lot of info about your Joseph. I will send you a PM.

Tom