Author Topic: St Clares Park Sandymount Dublin  (Read 21352 times)

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
  • James Henry Clark - 5th Royal Irish Lancers
    • View Profile
Re: St Clares Park Sandymount Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »

Offline lostallinterest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:18 GMT (UK) »
O'Briens Place was still there on the 1940 voters list and still occupied by the Bray family amongst others
lost all interest

Offline lostallinterest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Going up Haddington Road away from town O'Briens Place was first right after Northumberland Street right by the Barracks today its called Lansdowne Park

If you search OSI historic maps Saint Clares Blackglen Road Sandyford pops up as an option but I can't see it on the map............could be St Clare's Villas Sandyford today or it must be in that area I'd have thought ?
lost all interest

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 November 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
...Today I received the birth certificate of my Father's elder sister Annie Elizabeth Violet Clark born 18th May 1915. This cert has some interesting details. According to this, the residence is shown as 3 O'Brien's Place and the birth registered district is shown as Donnybrook No. 1.

My Grandfather James Henry Clark is also shown as expected at Marlborough Barracks and recorded as a private in 5th RI Lancers.

As my Grandmother Mary is shown as formally Killeen I presume they were married before 18th May 1915....

interesting - then the 1914 Marriage mentioned earlier looks very promising... I initially thought it was a bit too early.

Marlborough Barracks is now McKee Barracks- which is located on Dublin's north side near to the Phoenix Park and North Circular Rd. Some photos of the barracks on Archiseek : http://ireland.archiseek.com/buildings_ireland/dublin/cabra/mckee.html

There's mention of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers in articles on the The Curragh “Mutiny” in 1914 - e.g.  : http://www.curragh.info/articles/mutiny.htm

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 November 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ralph

Just interested to know how you found O'Briens Place and it's location today as Landsdowne Park?

I think it may be possible St Clare's Villas could have been St Clare's Park. Is this a street/road or building? initial search didn't find anything so maybe I'm looking at the wrong map!

Thanks also to Shane

The Curragh Mutiny article was very interesting.

Perhaps my Grandfather had a swift marrige in 1914 just before going to fight in the Great War?!

All the best
Nick

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 November 09 09:48 GMT (UK) »
The St Clare's / Saint Clares, Blackglen Road, Sandyford that Ralph mentioned would be quite a distance away from the Sandymount/Donnybrook area - and in the registration district of Rathdown, rather than Dublin South.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lostallinterest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 November 09 09:58 GMT (UK) »
O'Briens Place is on the 1940 voters list  linked to Haddington Road  so I searched Haddington Road on the OSI historical maps viewer and found O'Briens Place to be adjacent to the barracks where Lansdowne Place is today..Lansdowne Place appears to be a longer than O'Briens was - you can overlay the current map to check
(pick the historic 25i option for the best view and overlay the current map)

...I agree with Shane about the distance on the St Clares address but its the only possible link I can find....
lost all interest

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 November 09 10:11 GMT (UK) »
see also this 1904 street listing - which shows O'Brien place, off Haddington Rd..

http://roots.swilson.info/1904page6.html

and a link to the OSI maps that Ralph mentioned (thanks for mentioning those - I didn't know they were available )

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07jt/ 

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline nicknobbyclark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 March 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I finally have the chance to visit Dublin next week so making notes on all the useful information members very kindly supplied with regard to my question about St Clare's Park, Sandymount etc.

Thanks to Shane I also have a possible marriage certificate to research too.

Just wanted some tips really on where to look first so I can best prioritise my research as I may only get one day to run around the city looking at various archives!

Best wishes to all

Nick Clark
Looking forward to seeing Dublin!