Author Topic: dead-end? McGuinness  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Gail Es

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dead-end? McGuinness
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Oh and just a little bit extra but it will probably be of no relevance, reading through your names on your list, my husband is from Ireland, the North with direct relatives of Kane and yeah Quinn, would that not just be something, perhaps totally scary. 
Gail

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:21 GMT (UK) »
If I remember correctly, Polmadie is in Springburn.  My family ended up in the Gorbals.  My dad grew up on Hayfield Street??  I am probably mixing up my geography all over the place.  LOL

Thanks for the memories.  It helps to build a picture in my head.

Families from the same area banded together for support.  Can you ask where in Ireland?  I think my Kanes came from Coleraine, but I haven't been able to trace yet.  I don't know about the Quinns at all.
Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

Offline Gail Es

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:41 GMT (UK) »
HI
No Polmadie is on the South Side of Glasgow, further South than the Gorbals but within walking distance( but everyone walked everywhere those days) but moving towards the more 'affluent' areas.  Springburn was further to the North of the city.
Yep, Coleraine is in the North, my husbands family Esler from Ballymena in Antrim, nowadays less than an hours drive. But I know they keeep going on about 'they look like a Quinn'  and the Kanes come in somewhere in marriage and family.  As you correctly say, yes they did all stick together and know each other and your name was your word.  I have no doubt at all that our families would have known each otherwhen they lived in Polmadie Street.   My father lived with his grandparents. Hey it is sad that we did not gleam all the information that we now seek from our parents and grandparents. I wish you luck and as I say will ask my mum but perhaps a bit early. 10 years ago I could have spoken directly to many of them but hey 'who where your neighbours' never came up.  I also know that my great grandfather or great great granfather was a highlander who came from the highlands to become a Police officer in Glasgow which was often the case in those days, and as you know Police often live in the same area. Maybe another area for you to check out.  Good luck.
Gail

Offline iainw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 September 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
Was sitting here and a bit bored and decided to check out my family name.  I came across your post asking with regard to Williamson's at Polmadie Street in Glasgow.  I have then had to sign up to this thing to reply to you.  My father was a Williamson from that adress in Polmadie Street.  I would like to warn you now that my father is no longer alive and neither are most of my relatives on his side but I may be able to help in some way or other as my mum remembers most of my dads family.  What I recall is that my dad lived with his grandmother and there were about seven children from that marriage.  I would also imagine that the Williamson family lived there or there abouts prior to this.  I also know that my great aunts used to use our phone to phone relatives in California I believe.  I also know that my relatives in Canada have done quite a degree of geneology with there mother coming from that side of the family.  I maybe cannot go as far back as you wish but I know my great grandparents stuff and have a picture of my great great grandparents.  My father was born 1923.
I do hope this is useful to you and if it is the same I will be happy to try and find out more.
Gail Williamson

Hi
My family is also Williamson and resided at 4 Polmadie Street.  My great grandfather was Robert who married an Agnes Compton.  Their son Bill was my grandfather who was born in 1905 at 4 Polmadie Street.  He then emigrated to Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia) in 1929 according to shipping records.

Any relation?

Iain