Author Topic: dead-end? McGuinness  (Read 9168 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: dead-end? McGuinness
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 05:32 GMT (UK) »
For 1881 there seem to be a number of families residing at 20 Polmadie St.

John Neilson(1854) and wife Annie(1855) and children Thomas (6) and Robert (3)

John McEwan (1854) and wife Marion Borland McEwan(1854) and children Isabella (7), John (4) and Allan McEwen(10 months)

William Anderson (1833) and wife Margaret (1838) and children Marion(14), Margaret(13), Mary(5) and Alex (3)

John Hannatty (1855) and wife Mary (1857) with children Patrick(6), Mary(4), Catherine(1) and Isabella Robinson (1858) p boarder.  The adults are born Ireland

James Lamont(1840) and wife Jane (1840) and stepdaughter Euphemia Burns(1870) and daughter Annie.

Debbie

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jacqui - I've tried that now and still no luck.

Can anyone figure this out?

It's one of the witnesses from the marriage extract, and something is written under her name.

I believe the word listed under Henrietta's surname is "witnessed" to indicate that her mark was witnessed and I believe the name on the last line may be the name of the person who was the witness to her mark.

Regarding searching by address, are you including other information in the search or just the address?
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 05:56 GMT (UK) »
The IGI records also list a marriage for Mary Ann McGuiness to John Kane for 3 separate dates.
Dec 31, 1875 Glasgow, Dec 31, 1880 Hutchesontown, Glasgow and Dec 31, 1888 Hutchesontown, Glasgow.  ???

All those entries were submitted by members. ScotlandsPeople has a marriage registration for John Kane and Mary Ann McGuiness which indicates they married 31 Dec 1880.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the name Hannatty somewhere and I am now wracking my brain to figure it out.  I am thinking this may be the connection.

Euphemia Burns also may be familiar.

She was living at 20 Polmadie at the wedding, but he was living at 16 Polmadie.  So, she would have moved out 4 months before the census.

As for the witness, I also thought it said Henrietta, but I cannot make out the last name.

There is also something written under John and Mary Ann's names in the marriage extract.  I think you are right and it's someone who witnessed their `mark'.  I've never seen that elsewhere, but whatever appears to be written is the same in all 3 places.  I've attached it below, along with her occuptation.  I cannot make that out either.  It's something, something, worker.  I know that later she was a fish hawker/housewife, but this appears to be different. 

Thank you so much for the help!!!!!

Newfoundland:  George
Somerset, England: Slade, Thorne
Lancashire, England:  Reay, Hargrove,
Bute, Scotland:  McBride
Perth:  McCash
Lanarkshire: Love, King, Lyle
Aberdeen/Fossaway:  Duncan, Shepherd, Burns, Johnston
Co Antrim: Warwick
Coleraine, Co Derry:  Kane, McDade
Tyrella, Co Down:  Denvir, McKay, Murray
Fermanagh:  Quinn
Ireland:  McKenna, McGuire, Burns, Hogg, Bradley
Ann Tweedley/Quigley: ?

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:22 GMT (UK) »
The occupation looked like paper mill worker to me.

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 November 09 05:19 GMT (UK) »
I may have actually found them!

Allan 75 (NS)
Ellen 75 (PEI)
John 40 (NS) farmer
Mary 40 (NS)
Mary Ellen 7
Catherine Ann 4
Donald 3
Duncan 6/12
Roderick 11
Mary Ann 9
Robert 38

It says they are Scottish and Catholic.

They are all McInnes, and Robert is widowed.  The only flaw I see in the ointment is that it would appear to me as though Mary Ann and Roderick are Robert's children, based on the way the names are written out.  Also, I wonder if John and Mary would have had a Mary Ellen and a Mary Ann.

I cannot find them in the 1881 census, so that is positive.

However, I also cannot find any birth, marriage or death records.  There appear to be very few records for Nova Scotia. 

I've looked for Robert and Roderick in the 1861 census (Mary Ann would not have been born yet), but I cannot find them.

Any ideas for me?

Next I am going to try the siblings with the father, in Canada and Glasgow, and see if anything pops.

Offline Gail Es

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Was sitting here and a bit bored and decided to check out my family name.  I came across your post asking with regard to Williamson's at Polmadie Street in Glasgow.  I have then had to sign up to this thing to reply to you.  My father was a Williamson from that adress in Polmadie Street.  I would like to warn you now that my father is no longer alive and neither are most of my relatives on his side but I may be able to help in some way or other as my mum remembers most of my dads family.  What I recall is that my dad lived with his grandmother and there were about seven children from that marriage.  I would also imagine that the Williamson family lived there or there abouts prior to this.  I also know that my great aunts used to use our phone to phone relatives in California I believe.  I also know that my relatives in Canada have done quite a degree of geneology with there mother coming from that side of the family.  I maybe cannot go as far back as you wish but I know my great grandparents stuff and have a picture of my great great grandparents.  My father was born 1923.
I do hope this is useful to you and if it is the same I will be happy to try and find out more.
Gail Williamson

Offline andarah

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness, google works in weird ways.

I couldn't figure out where you got the Williamson from, so I tried googling it and sure enough this thread popped.  I finally figured it out!  Williamson is in the signature of one of the people who responded.  How weird.

Anyway, I would love to know how far back your family goes in that area.  If it's back to the early 1900s, then chances are good they knew my family.  Even if not, there's still a good chance because some of them are still there.  LOL

What a small world for us to know that our ancestors each lived in the same home.  I will ask my grandmother if she remembers any Williamsons.  The person I am trying to figure out on this thread is her grandmother.  If you get a chance to ask, her parents were Thomas and Catherine Kane.  Catherine died in 1930, but Thomas lived into the '70s.  My grandmother is also a Catherine (Katie).  If they knew her, it would be great to know.  Small world.

Thanks for signing up to respond!

Offline Gail Es

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yeah incredibly small world, as I said sadly my father and his relatives are no longer with us, I doubt my mum will remember neighbours but I will ask.  That part of Glasgow at the time was what could be described as decent working class and I know that a lot of them worked for the railway.  The Kane name rings a bell with me but will need to check it out.  As I said I know that my great aunts and uncles were all brought up there so that would take it back into the 1800's.  The street was still as it was when I grew up and we lived not far from it and when we used to drive by I used to look up into the streeet and to the houses as they ended up wiht more than one and try to imagine my great grandparents,uncles aunts and dad in the street.  It is still there as a street but the houses are no longer there.  When I say houses they were tenement blocks.  I know from my dads recollection that it was a close knit place and he told me of the time that he and his friends stood on the corner when they got there call up papers for WWII.  I am 47, perhaps you can take some of these memories as tangible.
Gail