Author Topic: James Austen, Godalming  (Read 12699 times)

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Austen, Godalming
« on: Tuesday 24 November 09 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello.  This is my first post.  I'm an American and have been trying to find information about my Austen ancestors, all of whom were English.  My great-grandfather James Austen emigrated to America either shortly before the American Civil War (1861-1865) or soon after the war began.  He enlisted in the U.S. Army and fought for Abe Lincoln on the Union side (the North), against the Confederacy (the South).  He served as first lieutenant in the 22nd New York Cavalry for most of the war, until he mustered out with his unit at the end of the war.  He died in California in 1898, and he is buried in Los Angeles.

That is all the information I have about him except that he listed Godalming as his English home when he came to America.  He was born in 1831, give or take a year or two.  He may have been born in Godalming.  His trade when in England was listed as "miller."

I'd appreciate suggestions on how I can find information about him and his family.  I live in a rural area in the American midwest and don't have access to big libraries, so all the research I can really do is online research.

Thank you.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: James Austen, Godalming
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 01:39 GMT (UK) »

Hi Tril

Welcome to Rootschat.  There are lots of people here who will be able to help you with your search.

For starters, I checked the UK Census records to see what I could find out about your James AUSTEN.  There is the following, which may, or may not, be of help to you.  The name, age and birthplace are a match but not the occupation....

1851 Census England Hampshire Alton
HO107/1679/89/33
High Street

EGLINTON
John Head Marr 32 Minister Wesleyan Oxfordshire Banbury
Eliza Wife Marr 18 Surrey Godalming
James AUSTEN Visitor Unmarr 20 Surrey Godalming
Patience MEPENGER Serv Unmarr 29 General Servant Oxfordshire Milton

I checked the FreeBMD index and found a marriage for an Eliza AUSTEN and a John EGLINTON.  Could be that James and Eliza were siblings.

Will see what I can find on the 1841 Census for you just in case this does turn out to be your James.

Cheers
Karenlee

Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat

although james is not listed -it seems this is his parents and siblings

High St Godalming Surrey
Isaac Austen 45 Grocer no
Mary 35 no
Ellen 13 yes
Martha 8 yes
George 3 yes
Ann 5 months yes
HO107 1073 4 11 15

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 01:46 GMT (UK) »

There is a James of the right age who is a pupil in 1841, in St Giles Camberwell Surrey.... might be the right one.

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 01:52 GMT (UK) »
IGI shows -extracted records

all in Godalming Surrey
all to parennts Isaac Austen/Mary Ann

James Austen b.26 Feb 1831 c. 8 Apr 1831

Isaac Austen b. 10 Jun 1834 c. 12 Sept 1834 died 5 dec 1839

George frederic Austen b.23 dec 1837 c.  9 Mar 1838

Eliza Austen b.14 Nov 1832 c. 12 Dec 1832

Lori Ann Austen b. 22 feb 1826 c 28 mar 1826

Richard Austen b 29 May 1824 c 18 JUl 1824

Martha Austen b. 26 Dec 1835 c. 22 Jun 1836

Ellen Austen b 24 Dec 1827 c 6 feb 1828

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, karenlee and Suz!  I am truly flabbergasted!  This is amazing information, and I'm so grateful for it.    Wow!

When I visited England many years ago, an aunt on my birth mom's side mentioned as we were driving by St. Giles churchyard, that my father had long ago wired her money and asked her to buy and place flowers on one of his ancestor's graves there.  My aunt told me it was the cemetery made famous by Thomas Gray's "Elegy."  I realize there are at least several other cemeteries considered to be the "Elegy" churchyard, but St. Giles is certainly one of them.  Since the James Austen you found was a pupil at St. Giles, it seems possible that at least one of his family members was buried there, making it likely that the James Austen you found was my great-grandfather.

My Austen cousins, along with my children and grandchildren, are going to jump for joy, just as I am about to do.  It appears that our Austen ancestors have finally been found. 

Many thanks again to you both!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 17:01 GMT (UK) »
so in 1851 james was with married sister Eliza

and his sister martha waswith married sister Ellen

High St Tonbridge kent
Henery Milns head M 25 Linendraper emmploying 3 men Tonbridge kent
Ellen wife 22 Godalming Surrey
Eliza A daughter 3 Tonbridge kent
William H son 1 Tonbridge kent
Martha Austen sister in law U Godalming Surrey

plus 7 servants ( 2 Milliners, 1 draper's assistant, 1 nurse, 2 House servants

HO107 1615 42

Suz

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Taking this back one generation it gets quite interesting  :)
THe IGI gives an extracted mariage entry for an Isaac Austin to Mary Ann Wall, 1/5/1823, Tonbridge, Kent.
The 1851 census has Isaac at Tunbridge High St
Isaac Austen  mar  53  Grocer  b. Brenchley, Kent
He has 6 employees for his grocery business & 2 house servants.

Mary Ann turns up back in Godalming in 1851,
Mary Ann Austen  wife  46  Grocers wife  b. Tonbridge, Kent
Selina dau  7                                           b. Godalming, Sry
Arthur son  4                                                     ditto

4 employed in the grocery & 3 house servants.

Looks as if they are running two grocery businesses, one in Godalming & one in Tonbridge.  That being the case there should be more documentation about the family.
There is a death on FreeBMD for an Isaac Austen Q3 1857, Tunbridge.  This is probably him as the TNA has a will for Isaac Austen, grocer of Tonbridge, Kent, 3/11/1857.  This can be downloaded for 3.50 pounds.
By 1861 Mary Ann is widowed & seems to have moved up to Warwickshire where she's a shop keeper.
I've just looked at the public trees on Ancestry & found someone has already researched this family  :P  Of course this all has to be double checked;

Isaac's father was John Austen (1758-1820) born Brenchley, Kent.  He married Sarah Martin, 1791, Sussex, Delaware, USA.

John's father was another John Austen (1726-1795) born Brenchley.  He married Elizabeth Balcombe.  This John died 1795, Deer Creek, Hartford co. Maryland.  So, many connections with the USA!

If you don't have access to Ancestry but would like to contact this researcher let me know & I'll try to contact him,

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 09 17:34 GMT (UK) »
This gets even more exciting.  On the Ancestry tree there's even a portrait of Isaac & a photo of his tomb stone!  Seems that the Mary Ann I found in 1861, Warwickshire was not her as she's buried with Isaac in 1860 in Tonbridge,

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.