Author Topic: James Austen, Godalming  (Read 12701 times)

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Austen, Godalming
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 November 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Liz, in my will, the letter L looks like S too, and the e's are odd - and in mine, the d's look like b's.  Once I get all the letters figured out, though, I think I'll be able to read the will as slick as a whistle.  :D   

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 November 09 09:27 GMT (UK) »
There's an excellent online tutorial on reading old documents at TNA
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/
Also this link
http://genealogy.about.com/od/paleography/qt/old_script.htm

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Completed
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 28 November 09 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread pertaining to my great-grandfather, James Austen.

A special thank you goes to Jane Masri for all the extra research she did for me, and for guiding me down the right pathways.

You all are wonderful!   :)

Offline Ferntree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 30 November 09 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi all.

I collect Austen family trees. I am interested in confirming the link between Isaac Austen and Jane Austen. I know there is debate about particular family connections.

Offline prickles07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 May 10 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been contacted by a distant cousin, Paul in S. Africa re the Isaac Austen headstone photo and it turns out that the Australian connection mentioned in the various posts on this site is also my branch of the family. So to put it in perspective:
Bert (self)
father Milton Austin GEORGE
gfather John Austin GEORGE
ggfather Joseph GEORGE m2 Eliza Ann MILNS
gggmother Ellen (Austen) Milns m Henry George MILNS
the latter 2 died in the fire mentioned in the various posts and 2 of the family Eliza and her sister emigrated to Australia and William Henry MILNS later a clergyman emigrated to the USA. All of this family tree I have on MyHeritage.com and if you would like membership of this site you are welcome but I would need your direct email to invite you. My direct email is bertgeor@internode.on.net. I also have a guest (public) tree on Ancestry.com but subscribe to MyHeritage.com. My direct email is bertgeor@internode.on.net.
Regards
Bert George.

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 May 10 03:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, Bert, and thank you for your post.  I was very excited to read it.  Little by little, the mystery surrounding my great-grandfather James Austen's family is being lifted, which is thrilling.

I've sent you an email.  I'd like to be invited to join your MyHeritage website.

Thank you!

Eleanor Austen DeHaai   

Offline Tuppy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 05 June 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
From S. Africa. My husband is the gr.grandson of Arthur Elvey Austen who came to S. Africa with his mother Mary Ann Austen in 1858 on the ship "the Shepherdess". An uncle wrote some notes on the history of Isaac Austen based on what he was told by his father and grandfather. He went to Tonbridge in the 70's and took the photo of Isaac's gravestone so I have a clear copy: the inscription reads:"To the memory of the late ISAAC AUSTEN who died at Tonbridge August 23rd 1857, Aged 60 years....then a few lines from scripture....then underneath......ALSO MARY ANN, Widow of the above who died at Grahamstown South Africa June 25  1859  aged 55 years". A voyage from SA to UK took +-90 days then so I doubt her remains are in that grave-the inscription just a tribute to her.
I will write another post dealing with the family that came here to S.Africa including I believe, James Austen.

Offline Tril

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 05 June 10 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Tuppy!  This is wonderful.  I look forward to your post about the Austens in South Africa.

I'm so excited, I'm trembling!

Offline Tuppy2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 05 June 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
It is known that some of Isaac Austen's children came to South Africa. Richard came here before Isaac died. Evidence for Richard, James, Martha, and Arthur Elvey Austen can be found in our govt archives.
The evidence for James is "MASTER OF THE  SUPREME COURT VERSUS JAMES B AUSTEN IN HIS CAPACITY AS EXECUTOR  TESTAMENTARY OF THE ESTATE OF THE LATE RICHARD AUSTEN. ACTION FOR  AN ACCOUNT.    1881.
I believe this James may have been Richard's brother as there is a death notice  for him in 1889. Richard ,I believe came to SA in 1847 and the archives show a James Austen  being  associated with a family crest in 1852.    Does anyone know whether Isaac's son ,James ,was James Brunswick Austen ?
The only other possibility of the James listed as executor in Richard's estate is possibly a son BUT I only know he had a son Samuel Charles Austen
I also have the family trees that link Isaac Austen to Jane Austen as distant cousins.